Wireless Setup | Windows 8 | Personal machines
ETSU wireless access points are available to ETSU students, faculty, and staff. If you have a wireless adapter (wireless card) in your computer, you will be able to connect to the ETSU network via a wireless connection. Security for all ETSU Wireless Access Points is enabled by PEAP (Protected Extensible Authentication Protocol).
If you are trying to connect to an ETSU wireless access point with your personal computer, please use the following instructions. These instructions are presuming that Windows is controlling the wireless card. If your computer is using a specific program to control wireless connections, you can use the settings that are provided here to try to configure the program. ITS cannot provide any specific instructions for setting up a wireless connection for any wireless configuration programs that may have come with your machine.
NOTE: These instructions were constructed using screenshots from a Microsoft Surface tablet. The instructions may differ slightly for machines that do not have touch capability. Hopefully the instructions will help you in getting your Windows 8 device connected to the ETSU wireless network.
From the right side of the screen, swipe to the left to bring up the Charms menu. For non-touch machines, hovering the mouse pointer in the upper-right corner of the screen usually causes the Charms menu to come up. After that, tap on the Settings button at the bottom.
- The settings screen should show something similar to this. Tap on the icon that looks like 5 vertical bars that are increasing in height.
- After you tap on the icon for the wireless networks, ETSUWiFi should show up if you're within range of the wireless network and if your wireless card is turned on and enabled. Also, ensure that "Airplane Mode" is turned off. When you see ETSUWiFi listed, tap on it.
- When you tap on ETSUWiFi, you should get a box that allows you to choose to connect automatically. Tap on the Connect button.
- A box should come up asking for your username and password. Be sure that you put in etsu\ in front of your username. For touch-enabled systems, you may see a little icon at the right side of the password box as you're entering in your password. If you press and hold it, the system will show you what's been typed in.
- After you enter in your credentials, the system should take a few seconds to authenticate and then tell you that it's connected.