Health Care Translation and Interpreting Certificate
Health Care Translation and Interpreting
Graduate Certificate Program Overview
The online Health Care Translation and Interpreting Graduate Certificate Program will prepare bilingual individuals who are fluent in both of their languages for a career in health care translation and interpreting. The program will be offered in the languages currently offered by the ETSU Department of Foreign Languages: Chinese, French, German, Japanese, and Spanish.
This online Graduate Certificate program was designed with working professionals in mind, offering the flexibility and convenience of online coursework. Please contact us for more detailed information about this program.
In addition to the admission requirements of the School of Graduate Studies, the following materials are required for admission to the graduate certificate program:
- Submit an application to the School of Graduate Studies by July 1, along with an essay of 150-300 words describing the applicant’s reasons for pursuing the certificate program.
- Pass a telephonic Speaking and Listening Assessment in two languages at the advanced level through ALTA Language Services. The test can be scheduled by filling out a language testing form on their web site. Each applicant must pass two assessments at the advanced level, one in English and one in Chinese, French, German, Japanese, or Spanish. The oral exam must be completed and official scores must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies by June 14.
- Applicants referred from the School of Graduate Studies to the Department of Foreign Languages will arrange with the graduate coordinator of the Department of Foreign Languages to schedule an onsite written exam by July 15 for fall admission. Applicants must also receive acceptable scores on the written exam in order to be admitted.
Your Health Care Translation and Interpreting Graduate Certificate Program:
- LANG 5100 - Fundamentals of Translation and Interpreting Studies (3 credits)
- LANG 5200 - Medical Terminology for Health Care Translation and Interpreting (3 credits)
- LANG 5300 - Health Care Translation (3 credits)
- LANG 5400 - Health Care Interpreting (3 credits)
Total Required Coursework Hours: 12 Credit Hours
Source: ETSU 2014 - 2015 Graduate Catalog
Health Care Translation and Interpreting Graduate Certificate
2014-15 ETSU graduate base tuition plus online fees*:
- $542 per credit hour for in-state students
- $688 per credit hour for eRate for out-of-state students
*Tuition cost reflected here includes 2014-2015 base tuition and online fees only and does not include RODP courses and programs. Some courses and programs may have additional fees. More information can be found on the University Tuition and Fee Information and the Incidental Fee Information pages.
Students meeting the requirements for Border County residency qualify for in-state tuition rates.
Financial Aid and Scholarships