RAs work with other students in the same day-to-day living situations to create a living-learning community while preserving the legal, moral, and ethical standards of the University and supporting communities. RAs report directly to a Resident Director (RD) and/or Assistant Resident Director (ARD), and assist with the total operations of a residence hall or apartment facility, which may be coed and/or multiple buildings. The RA position provides excellent opportunities for practical experiences, especially in the areas of business, sociology, psychology, education, political science and guidance. It is a part-time, live-in position with appointment on a semester basis.
RAs must balance their personal activities and academic schedule to allow sufficient time for the job. Specific responsibilities include but not limited to the following:
1. Attend staff orientation and workshops prior to beginning of the semester and throughout the year.
2. Assist in opening and closing of hall/apartments each semester.
3. Establish and maintain interpersonal relations with residents; encourage interaction with the community and campus.
4. Keep residents informed of campus events, services, programs, activities, etc.
5. Serve as a public relations person for campus living, Housing Department, and University.
6. Work with residents as individuals and in groups to advise, refer, and counsel in academic, social, and personal matters; handle problems; take suggestions and recommendations; mediate conflicts; etc.
7. Encourage, assist and participate in residence hall/apartment functions; develop social activities and educational programs.
8. Assist in maintaining order in emergency situations; and in some cases, actively clear buildings with limited time by way of stairs; assist in conducting fire drills and fire and safety inspections.
9. Provide evening and weekend on-duty coverage scheduled by the RD/ARD.
10. Maintain key and access card control and security.
11. Inspect hall floors and rooms for damages, including all public areas such as basement, laundry, storage, stairwells,etc.
12. Document and prepare reports/logs concerning any actions, events, problems or disciplinary incidents.
13. Abide by and enforce Housing and University policies fairly and consistently.