ETSU was represented well at the 44th Southeastern International Conference on Combinatorics, Graph Theory, and Computing held in Boca Raton, Florida March 4-8, 2013. There were twelve of us in attendance.
Several top mathematicians in the field commented on what a great job our students did! One said, "I don't know what you folks are doing at ETSU, but your students act like post-docs! They are very impressive."
The Annual Department Honors Banquet was held at the Millennium Centre on April 18, 2013.
Notable Activities of Our Students!
Jessie Deering received the 2012-2013 Faculty Award, Outstanding Student.
Jessie Deering and William Jamieson won the Outstanding Undergraduate in Mathematics Award.
Tabitha McCoy recieved the 2012-2013 Outstanding Graduate Student Award
Undergraduate student Cade Herron presented his work on "A Graph Theoretic Model of the Nucleotide Binding Domain 1" at the Annual Meeting of the Midsouth Computational Biology Society at the University of Mississippi held March, 2012
Undergraduate student Jessica Lunsford presented her work at the SUMS Conference at James Madison University which garnered a prize!
1. Robert Beeler and Clayton Walvoort*, "Peg Solitaire on Trees"
2. Robert Beeler and Aaron Gray*, "Peg Solitaire on Generalized Helm, Web, Gear, and Wheel Graphs"
3. Wesley Surber* and Robert Gardner, "Restricted and Unrestricted Hexagon Coverings of Complete Bipartite Graphs"
4. Andre Campbell* and Anant Godbole, "Universal Cycles for Labeled Posets and Words"
5. Michelle Champlin, Anant Godbole, and Beverly Tomlinson*, "Universal Cycles of Complementary Classes"
6. Michael Donders (Rutgers) and Anant Godbole*, "Tiling Probability Models and t-Covering Arrays"
7. Tabitha McCoy*, Teresa Haynes, and Stephen Hedetniemi (Clemson), "Cost Effective Domination in Graphs"
8. Tony Rodriguez*, Teresa Haynes, and Stephen Hedetniemi (Clemson), "Very Cost Effective Domination in Graphs"
9. Inna Vasylieva*, Teresa Haynes, and Stephen Hedetniemi (Clemson), "Very Cost Effective Partitions in Graphs"
10. Isaac Justus*, Teresa Haynes, and Stephen Hedetniemi (Clemson), "Upper Bounds on Degree-Type Vertices in Trees"
Chelsea Ross (undergraduate) and Alissa Rockney (graduate) paper appeared in ISRN Bioinformatics. The paper was co-authored by Jeff and Debra Knisley
Cade Herron's solution to problem 669 in the Mathematics Journal The Pentagon was published in the Spring 2012 issue. This was his second publication in the journal as his solution to problem 665 was also published in the Fall 2011 issue. Congratulations Cade!
Notable Activities of Our Faculty!
Edith Seier was selected as an ETSU Notable Woman for the 2012-2013 academic year.
Teresa Haynes won the Graduate Studies Outstanding Mentor Award for the 2012-2013 academic year.
Anant Godbole was selected to serve as an editor of ISRN Combinatorics.
Debra Knisley was elected to the Board of Directors of MCBIOS.
Outstanding Mathematics/Statistics Faculty (2012-2013): Teresa Haynes (Teaching), Debbie Knisley & Jeff Knisley (Research),
Yali Liu (Service); Corlis Robe (Teacher)