How to Apply
The first step for admission to the program is to apply online to the School of Graduate Studies and ensure you meet all of their admissions requirements.
An oral or written interview may be requested by the program coordinator in specific cases.
Student with an award
News and Events
- The Reading MA Program plans to begin a cohort in Fall, 2015. If you are interested please apply!
- Gilbreath Reading Council Summer Workshop, Reading Up "STREAM," is scheduled for Saturday, July 25th from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm in room 405 Warf-Pickel Hall. Participants will learn how to integrate Science, Technology, Reading, Engineering, Arts, and Math (STREAM). For more information contact Dr. Karin Keith (email@example.com)
- Congratulations to Krista Linkous, MA in Reading alum (2013). Krista is the new Reading Specialist for Lincoln Heights Elementary School in Hamblen County
MA in Reading
The Master of Arts in Reading
degree is designed to provide the necessary educational experiences for persons interested in working with children or adults to enhance their reading and writing competencies. Degree candidates are prepared to assume leadership roles in reading education by serving as special reading teachers, clinicians, diagnosticians, program coordinators, and reading supervisors.
The Master of Arts in Reading is a 36 hour program. It does not involve initial teaching licensure. All candidates accepted into the program work towards a Master of Arts in Reading.Candidates who are interested in the Reading Specialist endorsement take specific guided electives to qualify for the endorsement.
Students pursuing a degree in the Master of Arts in Reading are required to:
- Maintain at least a 3.0 "B" average in all coursework taken.
- Complete all course work applicable to the degree within a period of six years.
- Choose between a Thesis or Coursework path.
The Master of Arts in Reading with the Reading Specialist endorsement is designed for individuals who wish to serve their schools as Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Reading Supervisors, or similar leadership roles. Students accepted into the program work toward a Master of Arts in Reading.
To apply for the Reading Specialist endorsement candidates must have:
- 3 years of teaching experience,
- Successfully pass the designated coursework, and
- Pass the Reading Specialist Praxis.
ETSU's Master of Arts in Reading with the Reading Specialist endorsement program is nationally recognized by the International Reading Association. Course work for this endorsement is designed so that candidates demonstrate competencies on the 2010 Standards for Reading Professionals at the Reading Specialist/Literacy Coach level.