Rachel Bowman & Rachel Ayers
News and Events
- The Reading MA Program plans to begin a cohort in Fall. If you are interested please apply!
M.Ed. in Reading
The Masters in Reading
degree is designed to provide the necessary educational experiences for persons interested in working with children or adults to enhance their reading and writing competencies. Degree candidates are prepared to assume leadership roles in reading education by serving as special reading teachers, clinicians, diagnosticians, program coordinators, and reading supervisors.
The Masters in Reading is a 36 hour program. It does not involve initial teaching licensure. All candidates accepted into the program work towards a Masters of Education in Reading. Candidates who are interested in the Reading Specialist endorsement take specific guided electives to qualify for the endorsement.
Students pursuing a degree in the Masters in Reading are required to:
- Maintain at least a 3.0 "B" average in all coursework taken.
- Complete all course work applicable to the degree within a period of six years.
- Choose between a Thesis or Coursework path.
The Masters in Reading with the Reading Specialist endorsement is designed for individuals who wish to serve their schools as Reading Specialists, Literacy Coaches, Reading Supervisors, Reading Interventionist or similar leadership roles. Students accepted into the program work toward a Masters in Reading.
To apply for the Reading Specialist endorsement candidates must have:
- 3 years of teaching experience,
- Successfully pass the designated coursework, and
- Pass the Reading Specialist Praxis.
ETSU's Masters in Reading with the Reading Specialist endorsement program is nationally recognized by the International Literacy Association. Course work for this endorsement is designed so that candidates demonstrate competencies on the 2010 Standards for Reading Professionals at the Reading Specialist/Literacy Coach level.