- Academic Programs
- Student Resources
- Contact Us
English and Foreign Languages Scholarships
Deadline for all English Scholarships: March 21, 2016
- Mary B. Herrin Scholarship: For graduate and undergraduate majors. Recognizes superior scholarship. Local residents in need of financial aid are especially considered.
- Harry G. Merrill, II Memorial Scholarship: For senior English major who plans to pursue the Master's degree in English at ETSU. Minimum GPA of 3.20 in English, 3.00 overall, and demonstrated financial need. The award recognizes promise of success in the profession.
- Jill MacLean Memorial Scholarship: For undergraduate English major in junior or senior year. The award recognizes superior scholarship and potential.
- Golda M. Merrill Memorial Scholarship: For junior English major who declares intent to complete B.A. in English. Minimum GPA of 3.20 in English, 3.00 overall, and demonstrated financial need. The award recognizes promise of success in the profession.
- Mary and Ambrose Manning Scholarship: For preparatory secondary English teachers. Completion of 60 hours with minimum 3.00 GPA and officially entered in curriculum for secondary education licensure in English. The award recognizes superior scholarship.
- Dugger Award: For undergraduate English major, except for seniors graduating Spring 2014. The award recognizes superior scholarship and leadership.
- McClellan Award: For undergraduate English majors, except for seniors graduating in Spring 2014. The award recognizes superior writing ability. Applicants must submit two samples of their best writing with letter of application.
- Karen Cajka Memorial Scholarship: For meritorious juniors or seniors enrolled in Literature and Language and/or Women's Studies courses. Assists students of merit in furthering their educational journeys.
Deadline for all Foreign Language Scholarships: March 14, 2016
- Christa Thyson Hungate Endowment: Provides scholarship assistance to superior undergraduate majors in German or French. May also be applied to ETSU study abroad. Students in graduate-level courses may also apply.
- Beginning German Award: Provides scholarship assistance of $1,000 to superior undergraduates who have successfully completed GERM 1010 in the Fall and who are enrolled in and doing superior work in GERM 1020. May also be applied to ETSU study abroad.
College of Arts & Sciences:
- William M. Beasley Scholarship: Provides financial assistance to superior undergraduate students majoring in French, English or Mathematics. For this award, apply through the College of Arts & Sciences
Application Format: Submit a letter of application*, a resume, and a writing sample if appropriate to the scholarships you are applying for to Dr. Phyllis Thompson, Department of Literature & Language, Box 70683, ETSU or to her mailbox in 102 Burleson Hall.
*Your letter of application must include:
- E-number, mailing address, GPA in English or Foreign Language courses, and overall GPA.
- Number of hours you will have completed at the end of the Spring 2016 semester.
- Scholarship or scholarships for which you are applying.
- Any other scholarships you know you will receive or anticipate receiving.
- Paragraph providing information regarding your qualifications for the scholarship(s). (You may need to write more than one paragraph if you are applying for more than one scholarship.) For example, if you are applying for the Herrin Scholarship, you would indicate whether you were a local resident (within commuting distance) when you entered college and your need for financial aid. Or, if applying for the Duggar Award, a statement about your scholarship and leadership experience would be in order.