What Services Do We Provide?
We offer small non-credited academic pre-college courses in grammar, composition,
mathematics (including pre-calculus), literature, lab science, foreign language, computer
skills and GED preparation. The payment for fees of post-secondary applications,
transcript requests and GED testing is provided. Academic assessment, cultural enrichment
activities, financial literacy information, college success workshops, counseling,
and career exploration are provided at no cost to eligible veterans.
Veterans Upward Bound pays college application fees, orientation/launch fees, and transcript request fees for eligible veterans. We can also pay eligible veterans a stipend of up to $150 dollars/month for participating in our program. Activities such as filling out a Veterans Upward Bound application, pre-testing, and post-testing, filing out a FASFA, or applying for their veterans’ educational benefits. We can also pay eligible veterans a stipend of up to $150 dollars/month for receiving HiSET/GED/pre-college tutoring from us.
- Individualized educational plan
- Academic assessment
- Computer training
- Financial aid workshop and counseling
- College success workshop
- HiSet/GED and basic skills classes
- Study skills seminar
- Pre-college classes
- Career exploration
- Educational advisement
- Cultural enrichment activities
- Post secondary school admission counseling
- Referral to other veteran services
- Math and English tutoring
All services and activities are provided at no cost to eligible veteran students.
Tennessee counties: Carter, Greene, Hawkins, Johnson, Sullivan, Hamblen, Unicoi and Washington
Virginia counties: Scott and Washington
Academic classes and counseling services are offered at seven sites:
- East Tennessee State University, Johnson City Campus
- ETSU at Kingsport, TN
- ETSU at Mountain City, TN
- Walters State at Greeneville, TN
- ETSU Nave Center, Elizabethton, TN
- Carter County Adult High School, Elizabethton, TN
- Adult Literacy Council, Rogersville, TN