Regional Hub Meetings for the 2021-2022 Term
The 2nd Northeast Tennessee STEM Innovation Network Regional Meeting will be held on Thursday, April 21st, 2022. The meeting will be held from 8:30am-- 3:00pm.
The schedule is as follows. Location: The Culp Center Ballroom Left on the ETSU campus.
8:30am–9: 00am - Registration, Coffee, & Networking9:00am–9:25am - Introductions and Opening Presentation (Drs. Lange, Godbole & Scarborough) Alissa A. Lange, Interim Director of CESE Anant P. Godbole, Former Director of CESE Jana Scarborough, Dean, Clemmer College
9:30am–10:15am SESSION 1: Coding, Robotics, and Computational Thinking
1a. Coding & Computational Thinking
- Elementary CS - Dr. Chih-Che Tai & iSLICEE project team, ETSU & Northeast TN Region
- Preschool Coding - Margaret Quinn & James Larsen, Preschool Coding project, UTK
- Robotics & More - Dennis Courtney, STREAMWORKS
- Early/Elementary STEM - Cindy Nickodam, Assistant Director of STREAMWORKS
10:30am–11:15am SESSION 2: TN STEM Designation & Outdoor Learning
2a. Outdoor STEM Learning
- Forest Schools - Mickey Morton, Seedkeepers Forest School, Jonesborough, TN (Washington County)
- Outdoor Learning Space - Jess Williams, Outdoor Learning Coordinator, & Heather Wolf, Principal, Washington Elementary, Kingsport, TN (Sullivan County)
2b. TN STEM School Designation
- TN STEM School Designation - Becky Ashe, TSIN (Statewide)
- Elementary STEM Iniatives at a STEM Designated School- Dr. Hans Ballew, Principal & Mrs. Cassandra Cate, teacher, Northview Primary STEM School, TN State Designated STEM School (Sevier County)
11:30am–12:30pm LUNCH & Networking
12:30pm–1:15pm SESSION 3: Informal STEM Learning – Connections to Schools
3a: Museums & Libraries
- Science Museums & School Partnerships- Hands-On Discovery Center, Heather Watson & Lee Robinson, Muse Knoxville (Washington County & Knox County)
- Libraries & Schools - Jennifer Johnson, Elementary STEM at libraries & school partnerships, Johnson City Public Library, Johnson City, TN (Washington County)
3b: After School
- Math-After School - Jessica Johnson, director of Crazy 8’s math club & educator, Cherokee Elementary, Johnson City, TN (Washington County)
Langston Afterschool Institute- Bridget Jennings, Langston Centre, Johnson City, TN (Washington County)
1:30pm–2:15pm SESSION 4: Regional Collaborations, Initiatives, & Innovations
4a: Regional STEM Collaborations & Pipelines
- Hamblen-Morristown: PK-12 pipeline - Chuck Carter, CTE director, shares experiences in supporting STEM education through the Hamblen-Morristown- PK-12 pipeline (Hamblen County)
- MathElties - Focus on K-5- Jamie Price & Ryan Nivens, math education faculty at ETSU, share regional math professional learning project, funded by Eastman Foundation. (Washington County, Kingsport City, Johnson City)
4b: Community - School Partnerships
- Anchored in Flowers - Heather Champney, Anchored in Flowers, entrepreneurial flower & outdoor learning program St. Mary's School, Johnson City, TN (Washington County)
- Early -Elementary STEM Collaboration- University, School, Community Partnerships - Laura Roberston, Alissa Lange & Pre-Service Teachers at ETSU. Early-Elementary STEM Collaboration project team shares our university, school, community partnerships to build capacity in our region (Washington County & Hawkins County)
2:30pm–3:00pm Next Steps, Survey, Closing Presentation, Prizes & NetworkingFor more information, contact Ashley Shook: firstname.lastname@example.org Interim Director of CESE, Alissa Lange: email@example.com
The 1st Northeast Tennessee STEM Innovation Network Regional Meeting was held on November 16, 2021 at the Kingsport Higher Education Center. The meeting was held from 11:30am--1:30pm. The Agenda was recorded. There were a total of 27 attendees, 15 on site and 12 on zoom.
The schedule was as follows: Location: Room 131 of the KCHE in the Kingsport Academic Village.
11:30—12:00 Lunch and remarks by Anant
12:00—12:25 Chris Bowen and Rachel Brouillette, the ETSU-TSIN-Niswonger Epidemiology Project
12:35—1:00 Amanda Blackburn and Evie LaFollette, the KCS-Biobuilder-TSIN-Niswonger Biobuilder Project
1:10—1:35 Ariel Cintron-Arias and Ryan Nivens, the ETSU-Niswonger Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning project
Goal: To disseminate key recent TSIN and Niswonger Foundation work on emerging STEM fields: AI, Epidemiology, and Synthetic Biology.
Outcomes: Three thirty-minute talks were given in the above areas. A link to the zoom transcript has been sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special guests included: Chris Bowen, Rachel Brouillette, Amanda Blackburn & Evie LaFollette from Kingsport City Schools; Ariel Cintron-Arias and Ryan Nivens from ETSU (Johnson City Campus).
Regional Hub Meetings for the 2018-2019 Term
The 1st Northeast Tennessee STEM Innovation Network Regional Meeting was held on Tuesday, November 27th, 2018 at the Washington County Central Office Building in Jonesborough, TN. The meeting was held from 11:30am until 1:30pm. The agenda was "Snapshots of the Northeast Tennessee STEM Landscape". Dr. Anant P. Godbole (ETSU) presided over the meeting.
Special guests included Sandy Watkins (TSIN), Chih-Che Tai (ETSU), Wes Smith (Hawkins County Schools), Aimee Govett (ETSU), Richard Kitzmiller (Niswonger Foundation), Dakota Reynolds & Laura Bailey (Nuclear Fuel Services), Ryan Nivens (ETSU).
The 2nd Northeast Tennessee STEM Innovation Network Regional Meeting was held on Tuesday, January 15th, 2019 at the Dobyns Bennett Excel High School in Kingsport, TN. The meeting was held from 11:30am until 2:00pm. The agenda was "Highlights of DB Excel". Dr. Anant P. Godbole (ETSU) presided over the meeting.
Special guests included Shanna Hensley (DB Excel High School), Mike Cummings (Insight Tech STEM Programs), Ronnie Gross (ETSU Trio Programs & STEM Programs) and Pam Stidham & Andrea Fissel(Kingsport City Schools).
The 3rd Northeast Tennessee STEM Innovation Network Regional Meeting was held on Wednesday, February 27th, 2019 at Northeast State Community College in Gray, TN. The meeting was held from 11:30am until 2:00pm. The agenda was "The Changing Face of Biology at the High School & College Level". Dr. Anant P. Godbole (ETSU) presided over the meeting.
Special guests included Wendy Courtney, Luke Douthat & Evie LaFolliet (Kingsport City Schools), Aruna Kilaru (ETSU), TJ Jones (ETSU).