- What is an accelerated MBA?Answer
- When do the classes for the AMBA meet?Answer
- How are the classes in the AMBA different from the traditional MBA classes? Answer
- Why should I choose ETSU for my MBA?Answer
- How many courses are there in the AMBA program? Answer
- Exactly what courses are required for the AMBA?Answer
- How do I know if I need foundation courses?Answer
- What is AMBA 5800, Strategic Experience? Answer
- What electives can an AMBA students take? Answer
- What if I do not have an undergraduate major in business?Answer
- How do I apply to the AMBA program?Answer
- What do I include in the personal essay? Answer
- What are the deadlines for applications?Answer
- Do you require the GMAT for the AMBA?Answer
- What if I have an overall undergraduate GPA of less than 2.5? Answer
- What if I need financial aid?Answer
- Are Graduate Assistantships and Tuition Scholarships available in the AMBA program?Answer
- What if I have more questions?Answer
What is an accelerated MBA?
An accelerated MBA is an MBA program in which the traditional two–year program is
offered in twelve months. The AMBA is designed for students who have at least three
years of professional managerial experience and who desire a rapid–paced, alternative
delivery of MBA courses. ETSU's accelerated MBA has the same courses, taught by the
same faculty, as the traditional MBA, but the time frame of the course offerings is
consolidated into one year.
When do the classes for the AMBA meet?
The accelerated MBA classes will meet every third weekend on Friday night (6:00 p.m.
– 10:00 p.m.), Saturday morning (8:00 a.m. – noon), and Saturday afternoon (1:00 p.m.
– 5:00 p.m.). The program is divided into four terms of twelve weeks each. In each
of the terms an AMBA student will take three courses. In total, a student will attend
four weekends in each term. Each of the four weekend sessions will be divided between
the three courses.
How are the classes in the AMBA different from the traditional MBA classes?
The courses offered in the AMBA are the same courses offered in the traditional MBA.
However, the delivery system will be different. The AMBA classes will use a combination
of on–ground instruction and on–line instruction.
Why should I choose ETSU for my MBA?
How many courses are there in the AMBA program?
The AMBA program includes 10 core courses (30 credit hours) and two electives (6 credit
hours) for a total of 12 courses or 36 semester credit hours.
Exactly what courses are required for the AMBA?
Twelve courses are required to complete the MBA. Ten of the courses (30 hours) are
required core courses, and two of the courses (6 hours) are electives. The required
core courses are as follows:
||Data Analysis and Modeling
||Accounting Information for Decision Making
||Economics for Managers
||Operations and Technology Strategies
||Applied Corporate Finance
||Strategic Management Process
How do I know if I need foundation courses?
Any courses you need will be listed on your acceptance letter. They will be listed
as foundation courses. Contact Pete Cornett at firstname.lastname@example.org or 423-439-4622 for
the list for the equivalent boot camp courses.
What is AMBA 5800, Strategic Experience?
AMBA 5800 is the capstone course for the MBA. In the course, teams of AMBA students
conduct a real world consulting experience. In order to enroll in AMBA 5800, a student
must have taken all of the core courses or be taking them concurrently with AMBA 5800
and have a grade point average of at least 3.0.
What electives can an AMBA students take?
AMBA students will determine the elective courses that will be offered. In general,
graduate business students may take any business courses offered online in the summer that
are offered at the 5000 level. However, only one course may be taken that ends in
a "7." Students who want to take a non–business elective must receive prior permission
from the College of Business and Technology's Associate Dean for Graduate Studies.
What if I do not have an undergraduate major in business?
In order to help non-business undergraduate majors successfully complete the AMBA,
students may be required to take one or more on-line 'boot camp' courses that cover
the areas of accounting, economics, finance, management, marketing, statistics, and quantitative
methods. They are asynchronous, typically 8 hours long and area offered free of charge
to students accepted into the AMBA. They cover all of the foundation areas including
accounting, statistics, finance, economics, marketing, and general management.
How do I apply to the AMBA program?
All applicants must have a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
You will need to complete an official application. The form may be found on the ETSU
web site, or a paper copy may be obtained from the Graduate School or the College of Business and Technology Graduate Office in room 214 of Sam Wilson Hall.
The application materials include the following:
- A completed official application (can be completed online)
- A personal essay of 150 to 300 words (can be completed online as part of the online
- A Residency Inquiry Form if claiming Tennessee residency
- One official transcript of all previous undergraduate and graduate work, except previous
coursework taken at ETSU
- Payment of the required nonrefundable application fee of $45 for domestic students
or $55 for international students (can be completed online as part of the online application)
- A letter of support from your supervisor (can be completed online)
- A current resume indicating at least three years of professional experience
- Three letters of recommendation (can be completed online)
- A scanned copy of a driver's license, birth certificate, visa, or permanent resident
identification for in-state applications
All materials should be submitted to the ETSU Graduate School at the following address:
East Tennessee State University
School of Graduate Studies
P. O. Box 70720
Johnson City, TN 37614-1710
What do I include in the personal essay?
In your essay, tell us about yourself, why you want to earn an AMBA, and your plans
for the future. The essay should be about one page long.
What are the deadlines for applications?
The AMBA program begins in August of each year. Applications will be processed as
they are received. To assure acceptance, early application is recommended. The preferred
application date is April 1. However, applications will be considered as received
through August 1st.
Do you require the GMAT for the AMBA?
No, the GMAT is not required for the AMBA program. The AMBA admission committee will
use the interview and other application materials to assess each student's ability
to succeed in the program.
What if I have an overall undergraduate GPA of less than 2.5?
The ETSU School of Graduate Studies requires that all applicants have a minimum undergraduate
GPA of 2.5 to be admitted into any masters level program. There are no exceptions.
What if I need financial aid?
Are Graduate Assistantships and Tuition Scholarships available in the AMBA program?
No, there are no Graduate Assistantships or Tuition Scholarships available to AMBA
students. The program is intended for working professionals.
What if I have more questions?
Please contact Pete Cornett, the MBA Coordinator. He may be reached at 423-439-4622
or by e-mail at Cornette@etsu.edu.