- Create a department vision with your faculty.
- Develop departmental goals.
- Encourage interfacing of programs with other academic departments.
- Facilitate the development of research programs.
- Mentor junior faculty and make sure they progress toward tenure and promotion.
- Assist faculty in meeting professional goals and, if possible, remove obstacles.
- Consult with faculty about plans for upcoming academic years.
- Encourage faculty professional development.
- Keep faculty informed about university and college operations and decisions.
- Devise recruitment and retention plans for students.
Personal or Role Model
- Maintain personal, professional competence in order to set a good example in teaching or research.
- Maintain confidentiality of decisions and actions when appropriate or required by law.
- Be accessible and listen to your faculty, staff, and students.
- Attend commencements, university functions, and department events.
- Be flexible.
- Maintain a sense of humor and dont sweat the small stuff.
- Provide leadership toward the achievement of excellence in the teaching, research and service activities of the department.
- Encourage and motivate your faculty to be successful researchers and submit grant proposals.
- Promote collaboration and interdisciplinary teaching and research.
- Manage personnel problems and conflicts.
- Create a forum in which faculty can express ideas freely, promoting healthy discussions among the departmental faculty members.
- Initiate policies as needed within the department for discussion, approval, and implementation.
- Maintain positive working relationships and an environment that encourages productivity.
- Maintain a climate that is hospitable to creativity and innovation.
- Maintain up-to-date academic programs.
- Take a leadership role for curriculum evaluating, planning, revising, and implementing changes.
- See that the department's program-related goals are well articulated.
- Coordinate the academic offerings to provide a program that is both pedagogically sound and uses available resources maximally.
- Develop and implement specific methods of improving instruction.
University and Public Relations
- Represent the departments faculty and the needs of the department to the dean and other administrative authorities.
- Establish effective relationships with the non-instructional portions of the university.
- Link the department to professionally-related relevant communities (e.g., corporations, foundations, health care facilities.) outside the University.
- Maintain contact with alumni, working closely with the alumni.
- Develop and nurture relationships with relevant outsiders who can produce advice and support (Advisory Committees).
- Occupy a position of stature on and off campus.
- Participate in the college and universitys committees and Council of Chairs.
- Assist in gaining support and recognition for the department.