skip to main content columnskip to left navigation

Human Services Program

Department of Counseling and Human Services


Even though students are not formally admitted to the program until they have completed 30 credit hours, interested students are encouraged to seek advisement earlier.

Setting up a plan with an advisor for taking classes is very important in being successful in your program of study. For the Human Services degree and the two minors offered through the Human Services Program, advisement is required. It is beneficial to set up an advisement session early in starting the course work rather than later. Starting advisement early avoids any problems that may occur in the last few semesters a student is enrolled at East Tennessee State University.      

Human Service majors with more than 60 hours earned credit are advised by faculty members, depending upon the student’s last name.

Human Service majors with fewer than 60 hours are normally advised by the professional Advising Staff in Clemmer College Office of Student Services.

If you are seeking a minor in either Human Development and Learning or Family Studies (regardless of your major) you will need to contact either or . Check out the requirements by clicking the left nav links.

Please note: Two lower division prerequisites are required for entrance into certain of the major courses. The prerequisite courses include:

  • Child Psychology-HDAL 2320  or Developmental Life Span Psychology-HDAL 2310 (this course satisfies a General Education requirement),
  • Elementary Statistics-PSYC 3100  or Probability and Statistics (Non-Calculus) -MATH 1530 (this course satisfies a General Education requirement).

The preceding required major courses and prerequisites, must be completed with a grade of C - or higher in order to be accepted for major credit. Otherwise they must be repeated. 

Want to change your major to Human Services?

Whenever you change your major, be mindful of the fact that you may be required to take additional coursework in the new major. For information regarding major coursework see our link: B. S. in Human Services. An Undergraduate Change of Major Form is available in the Office of the Registrar, Burgin E. Dossett Hall, Room 101. You must complete a change of major form to officially change university documents and to transfer your advisement to the department of your new major (Counseling and Human Services). To complete the form - make an appointment with one of the Human Services faculty members (see above).

Graduating soon - or thinking about graduation?

It is never too early to think about and plan for graduation - that is why you are here, right? First, check out the very helpful graduation website. It is critical to think about graduation prior to the semester you intend to graduate! There are many forms to be completed and these forms require conversations and signatures. It is very important to complete major/minor sheets at the latest the beginning of the semester prior to graduation to assure you have the requirements. For instance - graduating in May? Then seek advisement and form completion by October the semester prior. Graduating in December - then seek advisement and form completion by February!

Interested in more information about the Human Services degree program? Please contact an advisor according to your last name (see above). We look forward to speaking with you!

icon for left menu icon for right menu