skip to main content columnskip to left navigation

Human Services Program

Department of Counseling and Human Services

Child Life Specialist

Child life specialists often work in hospitals or other medical settings and are responsible for helping children with medical situations that could potentially impact their development.

Child Life Specialists provide support for families and engage in play, preparation, education, and self-expression activities with children to enhance coping.

A bachelor's or master's degree with an educational emphasis in human growth and development, human services, education, psychology or a related field is the minimum educational requirement. At East Tennessee State University, the designated degree program to academically prepare people who would like to become Certified Child Life Specialists is the B.S. in Human Services Child Life Specialist Group option. We also recommend the Family Studies minor to meet the minor requirement for the B.S. in Human Services.

In order to obtain the Child Life Specialist credential for employment, post-degree work and an exam is required. See Child Life Specialist Certification Credential for more information.


Child Life Specialist


For more information about the B. S. in Human Services -Child Life Specialist, please contact

Dr. Mary Langenbrunner at



See the following links for more information:

Child Life Council
A day in the life of a Child Life Specialist video
East Tennessee Children's Hospital Child Life
West Tennessee Healthcare Child Life Specialist


icon for left menu icon for right menu