Mission, Purpose, Goals
The mission of the Department of Counseling and Human Services in the Clemmer College at East Tennessee State University is to prepare culturally responsive, competent, ethical, self-reflective and caring counseling and human services professionals who are committed to improving the human condition through supportive, therapeutic, educational, and counseling services and who lead by advocating to improve accessibility, accountability, and coordination of services for all.
The purpose of the Department of Counseling and Human Services is to prepare competent and caring professionals to work in a range of settings (for-profit and non-profit agencies, PK-12 schools, higher education, elder care programs, etc.) serving clients across the lifespan and from a variety of backgrounds; to contribute to the knowledge base in the social/behavioral sciences, human development, leadership, counseling and human services; and to provide culturally responsive service to the counseling and human service professions, the Clemmer College, East Tennessee State University, and the community.
The goals of the Department of Counseling and Human Services are to:
- assist our students in acquiring and applying knowledge, skills, and awareness of self and others in relation to exemplary professional practice;
- assist our students in expanding their knowledge of social issues and social justice toward a commitment to improving the overall quality of life of the populations they serve, particularly those with marginalized intersectional identities;
- integrate service learning at East Tennessee State University through leadership and collaboration with ETSU programs and offices;
- engage in trauma-informed and anti-racist praxis across courses and service learning opportunities for students, faculty, and staff; and
- provide opportunities for faculty to expand their knowledge and skills, as well as contribute to the knowledge base of the social/behavioral sciences and human development disciplines, leadership, and counseling and human service professions.