Ronald C. Hamdy, MD, FRCP, FACP
Professor of Medicine
Professor/Quillen Chair, Geriatric Medicine
East Tennessee State University
James H. Quillen VA Medical Center
As a professor of internal medicine at ETSU and a staff physician at the James H. Quillen VA Medical Center, Dr. Hamdy is actively involved in research and patient care. His main areas of expertise include osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, and dementia. He has published extensively, with four books, over 200 articles in medical journals, and numerous chapters in medical textbooks to his credit.
In 1985, he was recruited by East Tennessee State University to build a Division of Geriatric Medicine, and in 1990 he became the Chairholder of the Cecile Cox Quillen Chair of Excellence in Geriatric Medicine. Dr. Hamdy served as president of the Southern Medical Association from 1999-2000, and served as Editor-in-Chief of the Southern Medical Journal, the monthly peer-reviewed journal of the Southern Medical Association, from 2000-2010. He is currently the Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Clinical Densitometry.
Educated at the College St. Marc, French Private School in Alexandria, Egypt and Victoria College, English Private School, in Alexandria, Egypt, Dr. Hamdys degrees include the MB ChB with honors from the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Alexandria, Egypt and a D.M. from the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Alexandria, Egypt. Dr. Hamdy holds certifications from M.R.C.P. (UK), Royal College of Physicians, London, England; M.R.C.S. (England) & L.R.C.P. (London); E.C.F.M.G. (USA); F.L.E.X., Federation Licensing Examination (USA); F.R.C.P., Royal College of Physicians, London, U.K.; F.A.C.P., American College of Physicians; and C.C.D., International Society of Clinical Densitometry.
Dr. Hamdy received postgraduate training at the teaching hospitals of the University of Alexandria, Egypt; Al-Gomhouriya General Hospital, Alexandria, Egypt; the University of Alexandria Main Teaching Hospital, Alexandria, Egypt; Farnborough Hospital, Kent, England; Farnborough and Lennard Hospitals, Kent, England; and King's College Group of Hospitals, University of London, England. Following his training in Geriatric Medicine at the University of London, England, Ronald C. Hamdy, M.D., was appointed Senior Lecturer and Consultant Physician in Medicine there.
Previous appointments include:
- Consultant Physician in Geriatric Medicine at St. John's Hospital & Queen Mary's Hospital, Richmond
- Twickenham & Roehampton (RTR) Health Authority, London, England
- Member, Postgraduate Education Committee for the RTR Health Authority, London, England
- Honorary Senior Lecturer in Geriatric Medicine at St. George's Hospital Medical School, University of London, England
- Senior Consultant, Department of Geriatric Medicine for the RTR Health Authority, London, England
- Chairman of the Ethics Research Committee for the RTR Health Authority, London, England
- Member of the Health Care Planning Team for the Elderly in Wandsworth Health Authority, London, England
- Visiting Professor of Geriatric Medicine in the Department of Medicine for Health Care of the Elderly, University of London, England
- Visiting Professor of Geriatric Medicine (BurroughsWellcome) for the Royal Society of Medicine, London, England
- Associate Chief of Staff for Extended Care and Geriatrics at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Johnson City, Tennessee
Dr. Hamdy is a member of the following associations:
- American College of Physicians
- American Geriatrics Society
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
- British Geriatrics Society
- British Medical Association
- Gerontological Society of America
- International Society of Clinical Densitometry Royal College of Physicians
- Royal Society of Medicine
- Southern Association for Geriatric Medicine
- Southern Medical Association