Postdoctoral Fellow, Genetic Epidemiology and Statistical Genetics
The Hospital for Sick Children / University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada, 2002-2006
PhD, Genetics and Biometry (Specializations: Population Genetics and Biometry)
Georg-August-University of Goettingen, Goettingen, Germany
Dissertation: “Gene flow and mating system in European beech” (ISBN: 3898732223)
MA, Genetics (Specializations: Biostatistics and Quantitative Genetics)
China Agricultural University, Beijing, China
Thesis: “Genetic expression of quantitative traits and prediction methods of heterosis in maize”
BS, Biology, Henan Normal University, Xinxiang, China
Biostatistics (Linear and non-linear mixed models, longitudinal data analysis, survival analysis, principal component analysis and factor analysis, structural equation modeling, Bayesian analysis, and meta-analysis); Chronic Disease Epidemiology and Social-Behavioral Epidemiology; Genetic Epidemiology and Statistical Genetics (including Bioinformatics, Epigenetics, Population Genetics, and Quantitative Genetics)
- Biostatistics I (BSTA 5310)
- Biostatistics II (BSTA 5350)
- Categorical Data Analysis (BSTA 5370)
- Epidemiology II (EPID 5405)
- Genetic Epidemiology (EPID 5480)
- SAS Programming with Application in Public Health (BSTA 6170)
- Advanced Multivariate Analysis (EPID 6410)
- Molecular Biology and Genomics (BIOC 6600), College of Medicine
- Statistical Analysis in Genetic Epidemiology (EPID 5907) - Independent study
- Linear Mixed Models (BSTA 6900) - Independent study
- Mixed Model in Clinical Trials and Survey Data (BSTA 6900) - Independent study
- Statistical Analysis of Clinical Trials Using SAS (BSTA 6900) - Independent study
- Impacts of health behaviors, health care, and mental health on cancer screening
- Secondary data analysis of drug abuse treatment outcomes in NIDA clinical trial data
- Relationships between early alcohol and substance use and adult chronic diseases
- Genetic and epigenetic epidemiology of complex diseases including alcohol use disorder, Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, diabetes, HCV and HIV, and oral diseases
- Integrative analysis of SNP, exome sequence, methylation, and RNA expression in complex diseases
- Barriers to Patient Shielding in Medical Imaging. American Society of Radiologic Technologists (ASRT) Foundation, 2016-2017. Role: Co-I.
- Tim-3-mediated IL-12 dysregulation in antiviral response to HCV infection. NIH R01, 2012-2017. Role: Co-I.
- How Stribild action as an HIV antiretroviral drug is affected by genetic variations among patients. RDC, 2015-2016. Role: Co-I.
- The role of NK cells in immunodysregulation by hepatitis C virus. NIH R15, 2013-2016. Role: Co-I.
- Age differences in the associations of social and behavioral factors with stroke. RDC, 2012-2013. Role: Co-I.
- Gender differences and parental influence in genetic association analysis of alcohol dependence in the COGA sample. RDC, 2010-2011. Role: PI.
- Impact of clinic decision on the rapidity of blood pressure goal attainment. RDC, 2009-2010. Role: Co-I.
A) Book Chapters
- Wang KS and Wang L (2015) Genes Associated with Alcohol Withdrawal. In: Vinood B. Patel (Ed.), Molecular Aspects of Alcohol and Nutrition: A Volume in the Molecular Nutrition Series (pp.247-259), First Edition, Elsevier Inc. ISBN: 9780128007730.
- Xie C, Ghulam E, Chen A, Wang KS, Pinney SM and Lindsell C (2015) Weighted Multiple Testing Correction for Correlated Endpoints in Survival Data. In: Ding-Geng Chen & Jeffrey R. Wilson (Eds.), Innovative Statistical Methods for Public Health Data(pp.315-324), First Edition, Springer. ISBN: 978-3-319-18536-1.
B) Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Owusu D, Pan Y, Xie C, Harirforoosh S and Wang KS (2017) Polymorphisms in PDLIM5 gene are associated with alcohol dependence, type 2 diabetes, and hypertension. Journal of Psychiatric Research. 84:27-34.
- Wang KS (2016) Linear and non-linear mixed models in longitudinal studies and complex survey data. Journal of Biometrics and Biostatistics7(2):e290.
- Wang KS and Liu X (2016) Statistical methods in the meta-analysis of prevalence of human diseases. Journal of Biostatistics and Epidemiology2(1):20-24.
- Wang KS, Liu X, Xie C, Liu Y and Xu C (2016) Non-parametric survival analysis of EPG5 gene with age at onset of Alzheimer’sdisease. Journal of Molecular Neuroscience60(4):436-444.
- Wang KS, Owusu D, Pan Y and Xie C (2016) Bayesian logistic regression in detection of gene x steroid interaction for cancer at PDLIM5 locus. Journal of Genetics 95(2): 331-340.
- Wang KS, Liu Y, Gong S, Pan Y, Wang L and Xie C (2016) Model selection in survival analysis of EXT2 gene polymorphisms with age at onset of type 2 diabetes. International Journal of Bioinformatics and Biological Systems 1(1):1-9.
- Chen G, Zhang F, Xue W, Wu R, Xu H, Wang KS and Zhu J (2016) An association study revealed substantial effects of dominance, epistasis and substance dependence co-morbidity on alcohol dependence symptom count. Addiction Biology (May 5, Epub ahead of print).
- Zuo L, Tan Y, Wang Z, Wang KS, Zhang X, Chen X, Li CR, Wang T and Luo X (2016) Long noncoding RNAs in psychiatric disorders. PsychiatryGenetics 26(3):109-16.
- Pan Y, Metsch LR, Wang W, Wang KS, Duan R, Kyle TL, Gooden LK, Feaster DJ (2016) Gender differences in HIV sexual risk behaviors among clients of substance use disorder treatment programs in the U.S. Archives of Sexual Behavior (February 18, Epub ahead of print).
- Wang KS, Pan Y and Xu C (2015) Statistical modeling of microRNA expression with human cancers. Journal of Biometrics and Biostatistics 6(2):e240.
- Liu X, Rodriguez CJ and Wang KS (2015) Prevalence and trends of isolated systolic hypertension among untreated adults in the United States. Journal of the American Society of Hypertension 9(3):197-205 (Has been cited for 8 times).
- Owusu D, Quinn M and Wang KS(2015) Alcohol consumption, depression, insomnia and colon cancer screening: Racial differences. International Journal of High Risk Behaviors and Addiction 4(2): e23424 (Has been cited for 3 times).
- Wang KS,Liu X andWang L (2015)Beliefs about cancer and knowledge of genetic testing are associated with cancer information seeking behavior: Findings from the 2012 Health Information National Trends Survey. Annals of Public Health and Research 2(3):1025.
- Wang KS, Pan Y, Wang W and Xu C (2015)Bayesian survival analysisof genetic variants in PTPRN2 gene for age at onset of cancer. International Journal of Clinical Biostatistics and Biometrics1(1):004.
- Wang KS, Zuo L, Pan Y, Xie C and Luo X (2015) Genetic variants in the CPNE5 gene are associated with alcohol dependence and obesity in Caucasian populations. Journal of Psychiatric Research71:1-7.
- Wang L, Wang KS, Gao X, Paul TK, Cai J andWang Y(2015) Sex differences in the association between obesity and asthma in U.S. adults: Findings from a national study. Respiratory Medicine 109(8):955-62 (has been cited for 8 times).
- Zuo L, Zhang CK, Sayward F, Cheung KH, Wang KS, Krystal JH, Zhao H, Luo X (2015) Gene-based and pathway-based genome-wide association study of alcohol dependence. Shanghai Arch Psychiatry. 27(2):111-118.
- Wang KS, Liu X and Wang L (2014) Associations of alcohol consumption and mental health with the prevalence of arthritis among US adults: Data from the 2012 National Health Interview Survey. Rheumatology International 34(9):1241-9 (Has been cited for 1 time).
- Wang KS, Liu X and Wang L (2014) Age and gender differences in the association between serious psychological distress and cancer: Findings from the 2003, 2005, and 2007 Health Information National Trends Surveys (HINTS). American Journal of Cancer Science3(1):54-66 (Has been cited for 1 time).
- Wang KS and Liu X (2013) Integrative analysis of genome-wide expression and methylation data. Journal of Biometrics and Biostatistics 4(1):e123 (Has been cited for 4 times).
- Wang KS, Wang L, Liu X and Zeng M (2013) Association of HS6ST3 gene polymorphisms with obesity and triglycerides: gene-gender interaction. Journal of Genetics 92(3):395-402 (Has been cited for 4 times).
- Xu C, Aragam N, Li X, Villla EC, Wang L, Posada Y, Arana TB, Cruz G, Mao CX, Escamilla MA and Wang KS (2013) BCL9 and C9orf5 are associated with negative symptoms in schizophrenia: meta-analysis of two genome-wide association studies. PLOS ONE 8(1):e51674 (Has been cited for 16 times).
- Wang JM, Ma CJ, Ji XJ, Wu XY, Wang KS, Thayer P, Moorman JP and Yao ZQ (2013) Differential regulation of IL-12/IL-23 by Tim-3 drives TH17 cell development during HCV infection. Journal of Virology 87(8):4372-4383 (Has been cited for 20 times).
- Moorman JP, Wang JM, Zhang Y, Ji XJ, Ma CJ, Wu XY, Jia ZS, Wang KS and Yao ZQ (2012) Tim-3 pathway controls regulatory and effector T cell balance during HCV infection. Journal of Immunology 189(2):755-766 (Has been cited for 68 times).
- Wang KS, Liu X, Zhang Q, Wu LY and Zeng M (2012) Genome-wide association study identifies 5q21 and 9p24.1 (KDM4C) loci associated with alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Journal of Neural Transmission 119(4):425-433 (Has been cited for 18 times).
- Wang KS, Liu X, Zheng S, Zeng M, Pan Y and Callahan K (2012) A novel locus for body mass index (BMI) on 5p15.2: a meta-analysis of two genome-wide association studies. Gene 500(1):80-84 (Has been cited for 11 times).
- Wang KS,Liu X, Zhang QY, Pan Y, Aragam N and Zeng M (2011) Meta-analysis of two genome-wide association studies identifies 3 new loci for alcohol dependence. Journal of Psychiatric Research45(11):1419-1425 (Has been cited for 50 times).
- Wang KS, Liu X and Aragam N (2010) A genome-wide meta-analysis identifies loci associated with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Schizophrenia Research 124(1-3):192-199 (Has been cited for 119 times).
- Wu LY, Chipman HA, Bull S, Briollais L and Wang KS (2009) A Bayesian segmentation approach to ascertain copy-number variations at the population level. Bioinformatics 25(13):1669-1679 (Has been cited for 22 times).
- Wallis RH, Wang KS (Co-first author), Dabrowski D, Marandi L, Ning T, Murphy T, Hsieh E, Paterson AD and Poussier P (2009) Type 1 diabetes in the BB rat: a polygenic disease. Diabetes 58(4):1007-1017 (Has been cited for 63 times).
- Wang KS, Ategbole M, Xie X, Liu Y, Xu C and Xie C (2016) Generalized linear mixed model analysis of potential factors for colorectal cancer screening in California adults. The American Public Health Association (APHA) 144th Annual Meeting, Denver, USA. A362023.
- Wang KS, Gong S, Sha Z, Ategbole M, Wang L and Liu Y (2016) A multilevel analysis of the influences of early alcohol consumption and daily cigarette use on the lifetime prevalence of pneumonia among U.S. adults. The American Public Health Association (APHA) 144th Annual Meeting, Denver, USA. A363254.
- Liu Y, Ozodiegwu I, Wang KS (2016) Behavioral factors, metabolic syndrome and self-reported health status in Americans aged 40 and over. The American Public Health Association (APHA) 144th Annual Meeting, Denver, USA. A361909.
- Owusu D, Wang KS and Wang L (2016) Trends of obesity and lipid levels among children and adolescents in the US. 2016 Appalachian Student Research Forum.
- Chen Y, Wang L, Kirschke D, Wang KS and Powers L (2016) Barriers to hepatitis C infection treatment in Northeast Tennessee and the US. 2016 Appalachian Student Research Forum.
- Kakraba SandWang KS (2015)Associations of alcohol consumption and skin allergy with non-melanoma skin cancer: Findings from the 2012 National Health Interview Survey. 2015 Appalachian Student Research Forum.
- Sha ZX, Wang KS and Liu XF (2014) Age and Racial Disparities in the Prevalence of Central Obesity among Young Adults in the United States: NHANES 1999-2011. American College Sport Medicine (ACSM) 62th Annual Meeting, San Diego, California.
- Pan Y, Feaster D, Wang W, Duan R, Gomez ZL, Kyle TL, Metsch LR and Wang KS (2013) Gender difference in HIV sexual risk behavior among substance use program patients in US. APHA 141th Annual Meeting, Boston, MA. A282058.
- Wang KS, Zheng S and Wu LY (2013) Age and gender differences in the associations of behavioral factors with arthritis: analysis of the 2005 California Health Interview Survey data. 2nd International Conference and Exhibition on Biometrics & Biostatistics” (Biometrics-2013) in Chicago.
- Zhang Q, Wang KS, Province MA and Borecki I (2011) Identifying rare variants with heterogeneous effects from pooled sequencing data. The American Society of Human Genetics (ASHG) 61th Annual Meeting, Montreal, Canada. 633F.
- Aragam NR and Wang KS (2010) Genome-wide association analysis of gender difference in major depressive disorder in the Netherlands population sample from NESDA and NTR registries. ASHG 60th Annual Meeting, Washington DC. A2621.
- Liu XF, Liu M and Wang KS (2010) Latent variable models for development of composite indices. 2010 Spring meeting, the Eastern North American Region of the International Biometric Society (IBS). New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Ategbole M and Wang KS (2016) Associations of early smoking onset and past year tobacco use with the prevalence of bronchitis in US adults: Results from the 2013 National Survey on Drug Use and Health data. The American Public Health Association (APHA) 144th Annual Meeting, Denver, USA.
- Wang KS (2016) Systematic review and meta-analysis – Examples in alcohol dependence and cancer studies. Internal Medicine's Academic Half Day conferences, ETSU.
- Wang KS, Xu C, Liu Y, Ategbole M, Xie C, Zhang Z, Liu X and Luo X (2016) A genome-wide gene-steroid interaction study for type 2 diabetes in a Caucasian sample. The American Public Health Association (APHA) 144th Annual Meeting, Denver, USA.
- Osazee J and Wang KS (2016) The association of respiratory diseases with colon cancer screening: Results from the 2014 National Health Interview Survey. 2016 Appalachian Student Research Forum.
- Ikekwere J, Igwacho J, Aragam N, Liu Y and Wang KS (2016) Associations of alcohol consumption and marijuana use with major depression episode: Results from the 2011 National Survey on Drug Use and Health data. 2016 American Psychiatric Association Conference, Atlanta, GA.
- Wang KS, Owusu D, Zuo L, Pan Y, Liu X, Li Y and Luo X (2015) A genome-wide association study identifies cancer-associated genes CTNNA3 and KCNIP1 contributing to alcohol dependence. The American Public Health Association (APHA) 143th Annual Meeting, Chicago, USA.
- Gong S, Xu C, Wang L, Li Y and Wang KS (2015) Association of PSD3 gene polymorphisms with obesity in two Caucasian samples. The American Public Health Association (APHA) 143th Annual Meeting, Chicago, USA.
- Owusu D, Pan Y, Quinn M, Wang KS (2015) Race differences in the associations of alcohol and illicit drug use with the prevalence of asthma in US adults: Results from the 2011 The National Survey on Drug Use and Health data. The American Public Health Association (APHA) 143th Annual Meeting, Chicago, USA.
- Kakraba S and Wang KS (2015) Associations of alcohol consumption and skin allergy with non-melanoma skin cancer: Findings from the 2012 National Health Interview Survey. 2015 Southeast Regional IDeA Conference, Biloxi, Miss, USA.
- Owusu D, Longcoy J, Quinn M and Wang KS (2014) Chronic disease conditions and colon cancer screening: Analysis of the 2012 National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) data. 2014 Appalachian Student Research Forum.
- Liu XF and Wang KS, Tsilimingras D (2012) Vitamin D deficiency, insufficiency and pulse pressure. 140th APHA Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Li WF and Wang KS (2012) Association between early drinking age and the development of alcohol dependence. 2012 Appalachian Student Research Forum.