How to Apply
Requirements for considerations of an applicant are as follows:
- Graduation from high school. Note that students are no longer accepted into this program immediately after high school.
- Acceptance to the university
- Official college transcripts
- Personal interview with the Dental Hygiene Admissions Committee. Note that personal interviews are set up after applications are screened. Only the most competitive applicants will be contacted for an interview.
- Completed dental hygiene application form
The dental hygiene program at East Tennessee State University is participating in the American Dental Education Association Dental Hygiene Centralized Application Service (ADEA DHCAS) 2018-2019 application cycle. Applicants applying to the entry level Bachelor of Science program for 2019 enrollment will apply online using the ADEA DHCAS application. To learn more about ADEA DHCAS, please visit www.adea.org/dhcas.
- Completed application and all admission materials received by March 1. Please submit application materials between January 15 and March 1 to be considered for admission during the following fall semester. If you are taking a health science class during the spring semester when you apply to the program, please bring documentation of your mid-term grades to your interview.
Application considerations that enhance acceptance into the program include:
- Overall GPA
- Health Science GPA (Anatomy and Physiology I & II, Microbiology, Chemistry)
- Dental office experience
- Completion of all required health science courses by the spring semester prior to entering the program
One class is admitted each fall semester. Students are required to attend five consecutive semesters to complete the dental hygiene curriculum. Admission is determined by the Dental Hygiene Admissions Committee. Each applicant is evaluated on the basis of academic preparation and record.
The scope of practice for Tennessee dental hygienists can be found at Tennessee Board of Dentistry.
For information related to blood borne pathogens and infection control please refer to the clinic manual under clinical education.