What is Safe Zone?
- ETSU Safe Zone is a community of LGBTQ allies on ETSU campus who have all undergone an orientation to being an LGBTQ ally and signed the ETSU Safe Zone pledge.
How do you identify members of ETSU's Safe Zone?
- Faculty and Staff who have undergone ETSU Safe Zone training and signed the ETSU Safe Zone Pledge are identified by the ETSU Safe Zone symbol placed in their office/on their office doors.
ETSU Safe Zone Pledge
- I am committed to fighting homoprejudice and heterosexism on ETSU's campus and in my community.
- I believe that ETSU campus is enriched by the presence and diversity of LGBT people.
- I believe all people have the right to grow, learn and develop in a healthy and supportive environment free of prejudice and discrimination.
- I will do what I can to ensure that LGBT individuals have a safe and comfortable learning environment on campus.
- I will be a visible supporter of LGBT people and concerns.
- I will be a non-judgmental and supportive when discussing issues impacting LGBT individuals' lives.
- I will maintain a high level of professional confidentiality when an individual shares her/his identity/story with me.
- I will continue to educate myself on LGBT concerns.
- I will guide, when requested, LGBT individuals to appropriate resources on and off campus.
- I grant permission to the Safe Zone coordinators to post my name on the ETSU Safe Zone web listing.