What is Safe Zone?
- ETSU Safe Zone is a community of LGBTQ+ allies on ETSU campus who have all undergone an orientation to being an LGBTQ+ ally and signed the ETSU Safe Zone pledge.
How do you identify members of ETSU's Safe Zone?
- Faculty and Staff who have undergone ETSU Safe Zone training and signed the ETSU Safe Zone Pledge are identified by the ETSU Safe Zone symbol placed in their office/on their office doors.
ETSU Safe Zone Pledge
- I am committed to fighting anti-LGBTQ+ bias and heterosexism on ETSU's campus and in my community.
- I believe that ETSU campus is enriched by the presence and diversity of LGBTQ+ people.
- I believe all people have the right to grow, learn and develop in a healthy and supportive environment free of prejudice and discrimination.
- I will do what I can to ensure that LGBTQ+ individuals have a safe and comfortable learning environment on campus.
- I will be a visible supporter of LGBTQ+ people and concerns.
- I will be a non-judgmental and supportive when discussing issues impacting LGBTQ+ individuals' lives.
- I will maintain a high level of professional confidentiality when an individual shares her/his identity/story with me.
- I will continue to educate myself on LGBTQ+ concerns.
- I will guide, when requested, LGBTQ+ individuals to appropriate resources on and off campus.
- I grant permission to the Safe Zone coordinators to post my name on the ETSU Safe Zone web listing.