ETSU to host variety of events celebrating Black History Month in February
JOHNSON CITY (Jan. 31, 2020) – A variety of educational and entertaining events will be held at East Tennessee State University throughout the month of February in celebration of Black History Month.
The following programs are free and open to the public:
- Red, Black and Green Ribbon Giveaway – Tri-colored ribbons commemorating Black History Month, with information on the meaning of the colors, will be provided by the Multicultural Center. Feb. 3, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Borchuck Plaza in front of Sherrod Library and the Dining Hall on the third floor of the D.P. Culp University Center. Contact: Tedra Bennett, 423-439-6171 or email@example.com.
- Black History Month Kick-Off – This event celebrating the beginning of Black History Month features history and an overview of events planned for the rest of the month. Feb. 3, 7-9 p.m., Brown Hall auditorium. Contact: Tedra Bennett, 423-439-6171 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mental Health Discussion – A discussion for African American students about mental health and the available resources both on- and off-campus. Feb. 5, 7-9 p.m., Wilson-Wallis Hall, room 205. Contact: Tedra Bennett, 423-439-6171 or email@example.com.
- Sex Education – A discussion to educate and raise awareness of issues surrounding sex, including health protection and the consequences of poor decisions. Feb. 6, 7-9 p.m., Wilson-Wallis Hall, room 205. Contact: Tedra Bennett, 423-439-6171 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day – Red ribbons will be distributed to symbolize the fight against HIV/AIDS, and free testing will be provided. Feb. 7, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., outside Nell Dossett Hall. Contact: Tedra Bennett, 423-439-6171 or email@example.com.
- Trap ‘n Paint/Color – Students may tap into their creativity using paint and a canvas while listening to music. Feb. 11, 7 p.m., Warf-Pickel Hall, room 315. Contact: Tedra Bennett, 423-439-6171 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “Breach of Peace”: A Play by Mike Wiley – This one-man play by playwright, director and actor Mike Wiley is based upon true accounts of surviving participants of the Freedom Rides and others involved in the struggle for African American equality. Part of ETSU’s Festival of Ideas. Feb. 14, 7-9 p.m., Millennium Center ballroom. Contact: Student Life and Enrollment, 423-439-4210 or email@example.com.
- The Poetry Café – Student poets, singers, rappers, musicians and storytellers have a chance to step up to the mic and share their creativity. Feb. 19, 7:30 p.m., Brown Hall auditorium. Contact: Tedra Bennett, 423-439-6171 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sankofa African American Museum on Wheels – This exhibit boasts a unique collection of inventions, rare artifacts, African art, sculptures, paintings and historical articles from black newspapers. Feb. 25, 11 a.m.-5 p.m., Culp Center, second level lobby. Contact: Tedra Bennett, 423-439-6171 or email@example.com.
- “Implicit Biases” Discussion – Dr. Keith Johnson, ETSU vice president for Equity and Inclusion, will lead this discussion as part of his office’s spring 2020 Lunch and Learn Series. Participants are invited to bring their lunch. Feb. 25, noon, Multicultural Center, Culp Center, second level. Contact: Kim Maturo, 423-439-4445 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “Just Mercy” – This film starring Michael B. Jordan, Jamie Foxx and Brie Larson follows young lawyer Bryan Stevenson in his history-making battle for justice. Part of the Free Movie Friday series presented by Buctainment at ETSU. Feb. 28, 7 p.m., Culp Center, Martha Street Culp Auditorium. Contact: Buctainment, 423-439-6828 or email@example.com.
- Black History Month Block Party – Students may dress up, socialize, relax, and dance to the beats of Young Gemini. Feb. 28, 8-11 p.m., The Cave, Culp Center. Contact: Tedra Bennett, 423-439-6171 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information on these events is subject to change, and additional events may be scheduled
at a later date. For the latest, visit the university event calendar at https://go.activecalendar.com/etsu/.