Who is eligible for GPSA transportation funds?
- Any graduate or professional student at East Tennessee State University who has a completed GPSA membership form on file, has paid one-time $5 membership fee, and is actively involved in GPSA can apply for use of GPSA transportation funds
- To receive funding, students are now required to be active members of the association for at least one semester prior to requesting funds. Students are required to participate in at least one GPSA-sponsored workshop and one other GPSA-sponsored event (to include a meeting, a social event, or a community service event) per semester to be considered active members.
- If you are not a member of GPSA, you can become one by filling out this application here and dropping it by the Graduate Studies Office with your $5 membership fee.
Student Activities Allocations Committee (SAAC) Restrictions
Funds for travel will be limited to student members of the organization or department with the following stipulations:
- the cheapest available transportation for any trip must be used
- no more than three students will be funded for any trip
- rarely will the full amount of travel expenses be granted -- students will generally be expected to pay a portion of their expenses
- funding for lodging will be limited to three nights
- GPSA does not award transportation grants for group transportation. If you are seeking to apply as a group, you must request B.U.C. funds from the Student Government Association (SGA), and will not be eligible for GPSA funding.
How do you apply for GPSA transportation funding?
- In order to apply, the following materials must be turned into GPSA by the intended deadline with a GPSA Transportation Funding Request Application.
- In receiving GPSA transportation funds, you are required to give a 10-15 minute presentation of your experience or research at a GPSA event (even if you did not present at the conference).
- GPSA also offers the opportunity to practice your presentation before you go to the conference. If you are presenting at a conference, would like to practice your presentation, and get feedback before you go to the conference, GPSA will provide a time and facility for a practice presentation. All you have to do is tell us when. Participating in a practice presentation will satisfy your requirement of presenting during GPSA week.
Funding is allotted on a two-tier system. The first tier is for those members who are presenting at a conference. Students who are presenting are eligible to receive up to $600. Students who are just attending (not presenting) are eligible to receive up to $300. Mileage is based on round trip estimates. Because the funds are limited, the following priorities will be followed in the allocations:
- First priority will be given to applicants who are requesting funds for presenting research/ scholarly presentation in which the applicant is sole or co-author.
- Second priority will be given to applicants who are requesting funds to attend a conference or professional development workshop that can be shown to be linked to their program of graduate study at ETSU.
- Other proposals will be considered if applicants can demonstrate that the proposed activity will enhance their graduate education, program of study and/or scholarship.
- Students may only receive GPSA Transportation Funds one time per academic year (start of fall semester through the end of the summer semester).