List of International Student Scholarships
International Students Academic Merit Scholarship
The International Students Academic Merit Scholarship is open to new international students seeking a graduate or undergraduate degree. The scholarship covers 50 percent of the total of in and out-of-state tuition and maintenance fees only. No additional fees or costs are covered. The scholarship award can only be used for study at ETSU (see graduate catalog). The award is available for:
- Eight semesters for undergraduate recipients
- Five semesters for recipients seeking a master's degree, or commensurate with the length of the program.
- Eight semesters for doctoral students, or commensurate with the length of the program (see ETSU graduate catalog).
- Scholarship can be used for summer semesters if taking on ground courses.
- Scholarship may not be used for the winter term.
- Apply for admission to ETSU ( undergraduate admissions, graduate admissions)
- Have or plan to have an F-1 or J-1 student visa (F-1 visa information, J-1 visa information)
- Have a demonstrated record of academic achievement
The Review Process
To be reviewed for a spring 2018 merit scholarship award, students must complete an application form and send the form to email@example.com by January 2nd. Click here to download the spring 2018 merit scholarship application form.
Starting for the fall 2018 semester, all international students who apply for admission to the university are considered for the scholarship. Upon admission, applicants who meet the following criteria will be offered the scholarship automatically:
- Minimum 3.0 high school GPA on the US 4.0 scale (freshman applicants)
- Minimum 3.0 undergraduate GPA on the US 4.0 scale (undergraduate transfer applicants and graduate applicants)
Applicants who qualify for the scholarship will receive notice of the award in the admissions letter. Students who wish to accept the scholarship award must complete and submit a scholarship acceptance form within three weeks of the date on the admissions letter. Eligible students can find a link to the online scholarship acceptance form in the admissions letter.
- Recipients must maintain full-time status.
- An applicant must have a 3.0 GPA (high school, or college GPA, depending on if freshman, transfer, or graduate applicant)
- Undergraduate recipients must maintain a 2.75 semester grade point average in order to continue receiving the scholarship. Graduate recipients must maintain a 3.0 semester GPA.
- The scholarship only applies to in and out-of-state tuition and maintenance fees. Recipients will be required to pay other fees such as program fees, course fees, housing costs, and medical insurance costs.
- Recipients continuing from a bachelor's to a master's degree program must reapply for the scholarship.
Students who are NOT eligible:
- Students pursuing a second Bachelor's or Master's degree
- Graduate students receiving a graduate assistantship or tuition scholarship
- Students receiving any other ETSU tuition scholarship
- Students applying for the M.D. and Pharm. D. programs
For questions contact Ben Shupe: firstname.lastname@example.org
East Tennessee State University
The Honors College
International Programs and Services
P.O. Box 70668
Johnson City, TN 37614 USA
Graduate Assistantships and Tuition Scholarships - Graduate Students Only
International graduate students are eligible for graduate assistantships (GA) and tuition scholarships (TS). GA and TS service scholarships require students to perform services in exchange for receiving tuition or maintenance fee waivers. Students receiving a GA receive monthly stipends in addition to the tuition waiver. For international students, GA and TS positions can waive full tuition (GA positions also include a monthly stipend). In order to be eligible for a GA, international students must be admitted unconditionally as graduate students. To be eligible for a TS, students must be in their first period of enrollment as graduate students.
For more information, see the school of graduate studies assistantships and scholarships page. For information regarding available GA and TS positions, students should check with their academic department. Also, the School of Graduate Studies maintains a list of graduate assistantship vacancies.
The Honors College offers programs of study which include the possibility of scholarship funding; These programs are open to international students. The Honors College programs are:
Admittance to honors programs is contingent upon meeting program-specific eligibility requirements. Please note that these programs represent honors-enriched curricula, not scholarships alone. Admittance to a program includes the possibility of receiving a scholarship; however, honors program students are not guaranteed to receive funding.
To learn more about honors program admission requirements, scholarship availability, and application instructions, visit the above links to each program's web page.
The ETSU Creative Arts Scholarship is awarded to new out-of-state students, including international students, with interests in the arts. Recipients are not necessarily required to major in the arts; rather, they are required to participate in ETSU performing arts or art exhibition activities. The scholarship covers out-of-state tuition. Students are eligible at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
For more information, visit the scholarship office's Creative Arts Scholarship web page.