The Changemaker Scholars program invites 25 outstanding changemakers to join our program each fall.
The application deadline is March 1st each year. If you have questions about the application process, please email CMScholars@etsu.edu.
The Changemaker Scholars Program seeks applicants with a demonstrated interest in and commitment to community involvement, social innovation, and other efforts to enact positive change in their communities. The potential for high academic achievement is an important consideration for admission to the program, but there are no minimum ACT or GPA requirements for admission.
- Currently enrolled ETSU students, transfer students, non-degree seeking students, and second baccalaureate degree students are not eligible for this program.
If you are graduating from high school with dual enrollment credit or an Associate Degree earned at the same time, you will be considered an incoming freshman by ETSU and you are eligible for the Changemaker Scholars Program.
- You must complete the general application for admission to ETSU and submit it to: East Tennessee State University Office of Admissions PO Box 70731, Johnson City, TN 37614 For more information concerning the application process for admission to ETSU,please visit the Admissions How to Apply web page.
Gather the information you need to apply. This is important, as the online application cannot be saved while in progress. You will need:
- Your basic personal and academic information.
- A resume detailing your educational and extracurricular accomplishments. Potential sections include scholastic honors, extracurricular activities (including sports and arts), volunteer service, and work experiences. Please clearly indicate any leadership activities or positions.
- Two application essays (approximately 500-750 words each). The reviewers will be looking
for the following in your essay: originality and creativity; strong point or argument;
evidence of care, effort and clarity; essay organization, grammar, structure and language.
Please respond to the essay prompts below.
- A central goal of the Honors College is for you to create a remarkable story as an
ETSU honors student that advances the Honors College’s own remarkable story. With
our help, we want you to go beyond classroom excellence and become a positive agent
for change through meaningful and purposeful work that betters your life, your community,
and the world.
Write an essay in which you (a) describe one experience that has contributed to your own remarkable story and helped shape who you are today, (b) discuss at least one experience that you hope to have as an ETSU honors student that will advance your own story, and (c) explain how your story intersects with and contributes to the larger story of the Honors College.
- The Changemaker Scholars Program helps students acquire the knowledge, skills, resources, and mindset to become creative problem-solvers, engaged citizens, and active agents for positive change in their communities. The program provides opportunities for students with a variety of interests and majors to gain a deeper understanding of social problems, collaborate with campus and community partners, and integrate a changemaker mindset into their academic, personal, and professional lives. The Changemaker Scholars Program seeks applicants with a demonstrated interest in and commitment to community involvement, social innovation, and other efforts to enact positive change in their communities. Please explain why you are a good fit for this program and why you want to make this a priority for your undergraduate experience.
- A central goal of the Honors College is for you to create a remarkable story as an ETSU honors student that advances the Honors College’s own remarkable story. With our help, we want you to go beyond classroom excellence and become a positive agent for change through meaningful and purposeful work that betters your life, your community, and the world.
- Contact information (name, title, and email addresses) for your two academic references. Please provide the names and email addresses of two individuals who will serve as your references for the Changemaker Scholars application. Choose individuals who know you well, particularly in terms of your academic achievement, your potential for honors work at the university, and your involvement with efforts to improve your community. These individuals must send a letter of recommendation via email to CMScholars@etsu.edu by March 1. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that all reference letters are submitted by the deadline.