Cost of Books
This policy establishes minimum requirements East Tennessee State University will follow consistent with TCA § 49-7-1.
ETSU will adopt practices that minimize the cost of textbooks and ancillary course materials, while maintaining quality of education and academic freedom.
TCA § 49-7-1
Effective Date: March 24, 2018
- The ETSU bookstore establishes ordering procedures that require faculty to submit
lists of required textbooks and course materials in a timely manner, thereby permitting
the bookstore to ensure that textbooks and other materials are available when courses
- The ETSU bookstore discloses to faculty on a per course basis the cost to students
of required textbooks and course materials and places orders for textbooks and materials
only after a faculty member affirmatively acknowledges the price of textbooks and
materials. Faculty should consider practices that reduce the cost of textbooks and
course materials such as adopting the least expensive option from the available products
that meet the requirements of the course.
- ETSU provides the following information regarding required and supplementary textbooks
and course materials prior to registration for the upcoming term through the ETSU
- International Standard Book Number (ISBN)
- Whether the textbook or materials are required, recommended, or optional.
- The bookstore website also states the availability of new and used textbooks and materials
and costs. College and department printed or online information regarding textbooks
and course materials should also include costs, where possible.
- ETSU discourages the use of bundled materials. If a faculty member[ESB1] wishes to
order bundled materials, the academic department chair must also approve the order.
The ETSU bookstore will allow students to purchase textbooks separately from bundled
packages of course materials that include textbooks. When possible, the bookstore
sells study products separately from each other.
- To increase the availability of used textbooks the ETSU bookstore promotes convenient
- Copies of current textbooks provided by publishers at no cost may be placed on reserve in departmental libraries or university libraries, thereby allowing maximum hours of access.
- The ETSU bookstore establishes ordering procedures that require faculty to submit lists of required textbooks and course materials in a timely manner, thereby permitting the bookstore to ensure that textbooks and other materials are available when courses begin.
Effective Date: March 24, 2017
Scope and Applicability
First Column Second Column
|Responsible Official||Responsible Office|
Vice President for Business and Finance
Business and Finance