Property Acquisition and Disposal
The purpose of this policy is to establish procedures for the acquisition and disposal of property per State Building Commission guidelines.
The institution has the authority to purchase and condemn land, and to receive donations of property (Solicitation and Acceptance of Gifts ETSU FP-24), and to be vested with title to property so acquired. Any proposed acquisition of property by any manner shall be subject to the approval of the President and the State Building Commission (SBC).
T.C.A. § 49-8-203; T.C.A. § 49-8-111
- The Chief Operating Officer submits a campus master plan or an amended master plan, which indicates land acquisition needs, or an individual acquisition request as well as any possible disposals to the President for consideration and approval.
- Upon approval of the campus master plan or amendment or an individual acquisition
or disposal request, the institution may request a land acquisition or disposal by
submitting the proper documentation for each proposed acquisition or disposal to the
Office of the State Architect. This documentation includes:
- The justification of the need for the property or for the disposal of the property;
- A description of and the location of the property;
- The estimated amount of funds required for the acquisition and the source of funds;
- A plat of the property with the name (s) of the present owner (s);
- The deed to the property.
- Acquisition Request Form GS-1136
- Disposal Request Form GS-1135
- The property acquisition request is submitted by the System Office to the Department of Finance and Administration (F&A) for submission to the State Building Commission (SBC) Executive Sub-Committee (ESC) for approval. After SBC ESC approval, F&A staff will obtain a title commitment, an appraisal, and a survey and prepare an option to purchase the property.
- If an option to purchase the property is signed by the seller, it is submitted to the President for final approval of the proposed acquisition. If negotiations fail, the institution may request that condemnation proceedings be commenced for acquisition of the property.
If acquisition of the property by purchase is approved, F&A records the warranty deed and forwards the deed and title insurance to the System Office.
Form GS-1136 - Property Acquisition
Form GS-1135 - Property Disposal
Scope and Applicability
First Column Second Column
Facilities and Operations
|Responsible Official||Responsible Office|
Chief Operating Officer
Office of Planning, Construction, and Design