Termination of Student Employment
The purpose of this policy is to address termination and appeals of termination of University employment under student Federal Work Study, Regular Work Study, or Academic Performance Scholarship programs.
Part-time university employment provides students with an opportunity to earn extra income while learning about personal responsibility and professionalism in the work place. Consistent with this educational objective, and the university’s commitment to treat people with dignity and respect, students employed by ETSU on the Federal Work Study program, Regular Work Study program, or Academic Performance Scholarship Program who are terminated for cause have the right to appeal the decision to the next higher level of authority in the administrative hierarchy.
If the student appeals the decision,
- The student shall be advised of the reasons for his/her termination.
- The student shall have the right to present a written appeal or to appeal in person to the next higher authority.
- The student shall be advised in writing of the outcome of the appeal.
If a student fails to meet the requirements of his/her APS service position due to extenuating circumstances, the supervisor has the right to terminate the student’s service position. However, the supervisor must contact the Office of Financial Aid prior to termination with written request and supporting documentation. Since APS students are required to complete 75 service hours per semester, accommodations will be required to allow the student to complete his/her required service hours.
Effective Date: October 30, 2014
Termination of student employment and appealing termination of student employment under the Federal Work Study program or Regular Work Study program.
- The student is advised of the reasons for his/her termination by his/her supervisor.
- The student submits the appeal in writing to the supervisor of the individual who terminated the student’s employment.
- The supervisor who receives the appeal advises the student in writing of the outcome of the appeal.
Termination of student employment and appealing termination under the Academic Performance Scholarship program.
- The student’s supervisor sends a request to terminate APS employment to the Student Employment Coordinator in the Office of Financial Aid including all pertinent documentation regarding the reasons for termination and submits to the Assistant Director of Processing for review/decision.
- The Assistant Director of Processing in Financial Aid reviews the request for termination and all documentation presented by the student’s supervisor.
- If termination is approved, the student’s supervisor and the student are notified in writing and the Office of Financial Aid reassigns the student to a new position.
- Appeals are handled by the department where the student is employed.
- Should the student choose to appeal the termination, the student submits the appeal in writing to the supervisor of the individual who terminated the student’s employment.
The supervisor who receives the appeal advises the student in writing of the outcome of the appeal.
Effective Date: October 30, 2014
Handbook for Student Workers at ETSU
Scope and Applicability
|Responsible Official||Responsible Office|
VP for Student Affairs