Veterans Upward Bound is a program that helps veterans receive basic instruction in
pre-college or HiSET/GED courses to help prepare them for college, technical, or vocational
school enrollment, HiSET/GED exam and career development.
All services, books, supplies and instruction are provided FREE OF CHARGE to eligible veterans. We offer classes in Grammar, Composition, Literature, Science, Basic Math, Algebra I, Algebra II, Advanced Math, Probability and Statistics, Spanish, Basic Computer Skills: Word, Advanced Computer Skills: Excel, and Computer Lab.
Veterans Upward Bound pays college application fees, orientation/launch fees, and transcript request fees for eligible veterans. We can also pay eligible veterans a stipend for participating in our program. We also offer Study Skills, Financial Aid and College Success workshops.
Veterans Upward Bound at East Tennessee State University has been in operation since September of 1980 providing educational opportunities to veterans in upper East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia. It is funded by a grant from the United States Department of Education under Title IV.
Who is Eligible
- Veterans from any of the United States armed services who served at least 181 continuous
days of active duty and discharged after January 31, 1955.
- Veterans who served less than 181 continuous days of active duty as a result of a
medical discharge; was a member of a reserve component of the Armed Forces called
to active duty for a period of more than 30 days; or was a member of a reserve component
of the Armed Forces who served on active duty in support of a contingency operation
on or after September 11, 2001; and have a high risk for academic failure.
- Veterans without a bachelor's degree.
- Veterans living in Carter, Greene, Hawkins, Johnson, Sullivan, Unicoi, and Washington
counties in Tennessee and Scott and Washington counties in Virginia.
- Other eligibility requirements are: any discharge, other than dishonorable, and income levels that fall within federal guidelines or neither parent graduated with a four-year college degree.
How Do I Apply?
Call or Email
Call us at 423.439.2281 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 A.M to 4:30 P.M.(EST), or email us at email@example.com. to schedule a phone appointment with one of our advisors.
You can apply to our program by using our online application. Complete the form and click the submit button at the end of the form. (Please allow approximately 30 minutes to complete this form.)
You will need to upload copies of your:
- A copy of a valid driver's license or photo ID
- We are required to offer an academic pre-test before joining our program. We have found that limited computer skills are often a barrier to our veterans. We offer this 50 question computer skills test to see if computer skills is something the veteran may need to be refreshed on. You can find the test by clicking here. If you are interested in completing a pre-test in math or english please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will then contact you promptly. If you have any questions call us at 423.439.2281 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 A.M to 4:30 P.M.(EST), or email us at email@example.com.
You can also print the application and fax or send it to:
Veterans Upward Bound
PO Box 70306
Johnson City, TN 37614
If you do not have an email address please call the number listed above.
How to find usUsing GPS 309 Stout Dr.
Johnson City, TN 37614
Click on the map below for a interactive map
Veterans Upward Bound Dell Laptop/Verizon JetPack loan agreement renewal
Please click here to renew your laptop/JetPack loan agreement. The loan agreement should only take a few minutes and if you have any issues please call the main VUB office at 423-439-2281.
We would like to know how we can serve our veterans better. We appreciate your feedback! You can find the survey by clicking here.
We love to hear from our participants, you can click here to give us an update.