skip to main content columnskip to left navigation

Office of Veterans Affairs

Division of Student Life and Enrollment



Most GI Bill issues can be resolved by calling the VA Hotline:


Problem Resolution Checklist

  • Taking into account the date you submitted your application and/or enrollment certification request to Veterans Affairs, have you allowed for a reasonable amount of time (six to eight weeks minimum in most cases) for the St. Louis Regional Processing Office (RPO) to process your claim?

    NOTE: Veterans Affairs requires at least two weeks to review new or transfer applications and to prepare enrollment certifications if submitted within two weeks prior to and following the start of a semester. If available for your entitlement program, direct deposit of benefit payments is typically quicker.

  • Have you checked on the status of your claim via the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE)?
    Available on the Internet here:

  • Have you checked on the status of your education benefits via the VA Hotline?
    The telephone automated information system is available at:  1.888.GI.BILL.1

  • Have you made a personal telephone inquiry to the St. Louis Regional Processing Office (RPO) at 1.888.GI.BILL.1?

    NOTE: Telephone counselors are not education case managers and generally do not have the same level of access to information about education claims.

Problem STILL Not Solved?

If problems with the delivery of educational assistance benefits or some other matter relating to education benefits (NOT vocational rehabilitation or work-study allowance issues) still exist, you may want to contact your congressional representative for assistance through their district office. The St. Louis RPO has a congressional liaison that handles inquiries from congressional offices. Generally, congressional staff members will want a copy of relevant documents from Veterans Affairs relating to an application or enrollment certification for benefits. Therefore, when contacting Veterans Affairs, indicate you will be pursuing a congressional inquiry so that we can supply you with all of the essential documents. Residents of the First Congressional District in Tennessee can contact:

Representative Phil Roe
First District of Tennessee
Post Office Box 1176
Blountville, TN 37617

If you are a resident outside the First Congressional District, you can identify your congressional representative and contact them via the House of Representative's Write Your Representative web site.

Finally, you may also direct a written inquiry/complaint to the director of the St. Louis RPO:

Director, Regional Processing Office
United States Department of Veterans Affairs
P.O. Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830
icon for left menu icon for right menu