Academic Criteria for Admission
- Entering freshman must have:
- A High School GPA of 3.2 and an ACT of 25/ SAT of 1140.
- Current ETSU students must enter their freshman or sophomore year with an overall ETSU GPA of 3.2.
- Transfer students must enter in their freshman or sophomore year with an overall GPA of 3.2.
- Retention in the program:
- Students must enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester
- Scholarship recipients must take a minimum of 15 hours per semester.
- Students must maintain the following cumulative GPAs:
- 45 hours must maintain a 3.00 GPA
- 46-60 hours must maintain a 3.15 GPA
- 60+ hours must maintain a 3.25 GPA
- Communication Studies Honors Application (pdf)
- Communication Studies Honors Curriculum (pdf)
- Communication Studies Honors Check Sheet (pdf)
Frequently Asked Questions:
What are the advantages in the job market when a student pursues honors in Communication Studies?One of the important talents current employers are looking for is the ability of employees to be able to synthesize, deconstruct, and analyze information in an increasingly complex and changing world. Through a rigorous class schedule and the advanced work that includes writing a full and professional research project, HID students have the experience to apply these talents in the workplace.
What are the other benefits of honors in Communication Studies?In our department we do a great job of advising students. In the honors program, that advising is kicked up a notch further. Students get to work hand-in-hand with one of the faculty members. Their choice of advisor is based on mutual interests in communication, whether interpersonal, organization, health, rhetoric, etc. It is a rare, but excellent opportunity.
That's nice, but what about money?Indeed there can be money. There is a scholarship associated with our H-I-D Program. That scholarship covers full tuition and most university fees. It is proffered to us through the Honors College which distributes and administers it. There are also various types of grants. Perhaps the most exciting thing is travel money, so students can go to a conference to present their research and mingle with scholars, authors, and others who share their passion.
Honors? Really? What do students have to do?Well, beyond keeping their GPA up, all honors students have to do a research project in the form of a thesis. This is a defining achievement for honors students, because once they finish this thesis, they have proven that they are among the best undergraduate scholars in Tennessee. The best part is that the students get to present their research and show off what they have learned about the topic they picked.
Honors-in-Discipline Program Online Application
For incoming ETSU students: Click here to fill out and submit the online application form
For current ETSU students: Click here to use your ETSU login to fill out and submit the form