Fall 2020 classes
What will my classes be like?
The fall 2020 semester at East Tennessee State University is under way. We know you are very excited about returning to classes, reconnecting with friends and faculty and continuing your journey toward graduation. In the interest of public health in the time of COVID 19, each of the courses scheduled for the fall semester has been carefully reviewed in order evaluate the possibility of altering the format of course delivery, such as transitioning some on-ground courses to online, or providing remote options for select on-ground courses. In making these decisions, our academic deans, department chairs and faculty have considered several factors, including which course competencies must be taught on ground and evaluating the ability to accomplish physical distancing guidelines in the classroom.
Check your fall 2020 schedule in GoldLink
- Log into GoldLink to review your current course schedule.
- Look under “Concise Student Schedule” for any changes in course format.
- You may choose to make changes to your schedule to enroll in course sections in the formats you prefer (on-ground required, on-ground with remote options, online synchronous, online asynchronous).
- Use the “Add or Drop Classes” tool in GoldLink to make those changes.
- If you have questions about your changes or would like to register for different courses than what you are currently enrolled in, contact your academic advisor for help.
- If your schedule changes affect your on-campus housing plans please notify Housing and Residence Life as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org
Course formats for fall 2020
On-ground required: At least some of the course competencies cannot be taught without some on-ground experience. The student must be able to be on campus, or at another designated location, for at least part of the semester.
- On-ground with remote options: At least some of the course competencies are offered in an on-ground format. While the student is encouraged to take advantage of the on-ground learning opportunities, they are not essential to completing the course competencies.
- Traditional Online: The course was developed specifically for online delivery. All course competencies
are offered in an online format. The student does not need to come to campus for any
of the course.
- Online Synchronous: Students meet online as a class at the specific day and time noted on the class schedule.
- Online Asynchronous: Students complete the course online, working on their own schedule within course deadlines. The day and time will NOT appear on the schedule for asynchronous online courses.
For those students who are enrolled in a course this fall that is classified as on-ground with remote options, the university plans to make accommodations for anyone who is unable to come to campus or is concerned about doing so. Please feel free to check with your professor to learn more about plans for these course offerings.