Outstanding Graduate Faculty Mentor Award
The ETSU Graduate Councils Outstanding Graduate Faculty Mentor Award recognizes distinguished achievements by a graduate faculty member in mentoring graduate students.
- One award is given per year
- The winner of the award will receive a $1,000 prize.
Any graduate faculty member at ETSU who has successfully mentored graduate students at the doctoral, and/or master’s level are eligible. Nominees may not nominate themselves, but should be nominated by a colleague on the graduate faculty in their department, or by their department chair. In making nominations, graduate faculty should seek a mentor with:
- A reputation for facilitating student learning at the graduate level;
- A positive role model for personal integrity, high ethical standards, and professional excellence;
- A record of consistent and on-going guidance of students, encouraging them to complete their programs of study in a timely way;
- Significant influence on the academic and professional pursuits of students, such as funded research, co-authorship on publications, and co-presentations at international, national, or regional conferences;
- Creative solutions to problems that graduate students typically encounter in learning research methods, in completing graduate degree requirements, and in completing their culminating experiences for their degrees; and
- Demonstrated success as a mentor of graduate students over a significant portion of the graduate faculty member’s career.
A faculty member who has previously won the award will not be eligible to receive the award a second time. Members of Graduate Council may be nominated for the award, but in such cases, they must recuse themselves from the award deliberations.
Nominees may not nominate themselves, but should be nominated by a department colleague on the graduate faculty or by the department chair. Nomination packages should include the following:
- A summary of the nominee’s qualifications for the award;
- The nominee’s curriculum vitae.
- A letter of nomination from a graduate faculty member in the nominee’s department;
- A letter of endorsement from the dean of the nominee’s academic college; and
- A minimum of 3 letters of support from students mentored by the nominee.
The nomination letters should be addressed to the Chair of the Graduate Council, Dr. Brian Johnston. Documents are to be submitted as PDF’s using the online nomination form , no later than March 15th.
Selection and Award Process
All nomination packages will be reviewed by Graduate Council at the March meeting, and a winner will be selected in advance of the ETSU Graduate School Awards Ceremony in April.