100% Online Educational Endorsements
East Tennessee State University's Department of Curriculum and Instruction offers the ESL add-on (18 hours) and the middle grades add-on (11 hours) entirely online. Teachers can complete the entire add-on during the summer, fall, or spring as the classes are typically all on-line.
Interested individuals should be teachers who want a new path, such as teaching in an elementary classroom and seeking to move to middle grades. Additionally, they may have ESL students who they aren’t reaching and this would help them gain a stronger understanding of how to meet the needs of these students. The ESL endorsement also allows them to be an ESL teacher who specifically work with English Language Learners.
Credits to complete this program: 11-18 credit hours
|TN Residents||eRate (Out of State, 100% online)||Out of State|
|$601 per credit hour||$751 per credit hour||$1442 per credit hour|
*Note, tuition discounts are available for border county students.
Read more about cost, paying for courses, scholarship options and financial aid.
Entrance and Exit Requirements:
Contact Joanna Wicker, Credentialing Coordinator, Clemmer College of Education, Box 70685, Johnson City TN 37614 or
Telephone (423) 439-7562 or Email: email@example.com.
To begin the add-on, complete the Declaration of Intent to Pursue Additional Teaching Endorsements.
- Any substitution requests in add-on programs require a completed Course Substitution Form, which must be routed through the certification officer.
- Teacher education students who are pursuing initial teaching license and wish to add credits toward an add-on endorsement may do so. Please be advised: An add-on program does not necessarily meet the requirements of a minor, and substitutions or approvals made for teaching add-ons do not take the place of catalog requirements or departmental advisement for degree purposes.
- Courses counted toward an add-on must have a minimum grade of "C" (2.0) or equivalent unless otherwise stated in this program sheet.
- Add-ons will not be verified unless all requirements for initial Tennessee teaching license are met.
- Praxis II Subject Area tests are required for add-ons. Go to https://www.ets.org/praxis/tn for current Praxis II information for Tennessee. When registering for the tests, be sure to designate East Tennessee State University, Recipient Code 1198, and Tennessee Dept. of Education, Recipient Code 8190, to receive a copy of your score report. Also, note that Tennessee requires a Social Security number to process educator certification paperwork.
- When courses and Praxis tests are complete, please contact Ms. Murray to have the college recommendation for endorsement submitted to your account on TNCompass.