Students who major in Sociology at East Tennessee State University will have the technical/analytic skills and the global perspective needed to succeed in a variety of careers, such as: social services/public services; program support; management; education; marketing research; social science researcher.
- having the ability to analyze the dynamics of a hostile mob,
- tracking patterns in corporate downsizing,
- exploring how people express emotions,
- showing people alternatives to drugs or violence as a community health worker,
- helping a refugee family as a maternal or child health specialist,
- serve as a director of health services in the public health sector,
- studying the effects of cultural difference on problems of peace and war,
- or pursue a direct service career as a doctor, nurse, medical social worker, or public health educator.
Sociology is the study of people interacting with others individually, in social groups, and in social systems. This discipline is extremely diverse, including areas like: community, religion, sociological theory, collective behavior, environment, health, demography and aging, and much more.
The video below features students and a faculty member. See what they have to say about Sociology!
Bachelor of Arts in Sociology - Program information including curriculum and graduation requirements can be found
in the B.A. Sociology entry of the ETSU Undergraduate Catalog.
Bachelor of Science in Sociology - Program information including curriculum and graduation requirements can be found in the B.S. Sociology entry of the ETSU Undergraduate Catalog.