Surveying and Mapping
Mostly Online Bachelor of Science Degree
Students in Surveying and Mapping Science at East Tennessee State University pursue coursework leading to professional land surveying practice and successful completion of the NCEES Fundamentals of Surveying exam. Graduates from this program are well prepared for future licensing in any state and for occupying professional level positions with surveying and engineering firms, government service, utility companies, and related industries.
Surveying is a rapidly developing profession that deals with spatial information - it answers the “where” question. As almost all information has some kind of location, the variety of information and applications which the Professional Surveyor deals with is extremely wide. The online Surveying and Mapping degree program at ETSU meets or exceeds the minimum educational requirements for surveying licensure in most states and many foreign jurisdictions.
ETSU's Online Bachelor's of Science Degree in Surveying and Mapping is grounded in the sciences, notably the sciences of mathematics and measurement theory. And, perhaps to a greater extent than many other professions, surveying is being rapidly affected by new technological changes, such as GPS, GIS, computerized mapping, robotics, scanning, and wireless communications. The ETSU's Online Bachelor of Science degree in Surveying and Mapping Science program in the Engineering, Engineering Technology, and Surveying Department is accredited by the Applied and Natural Science Accreditation Commission of ABET, https://www.abet.org and prepares students for licensing in any state.
This program is delivered primarily through synchronous online courses and is specifically designed to ensure successful completion for working professionals from all over the country. Please contact us for information about synchronous courses. The lecture component of most online surveying courses is streamed, recorded, and made available to all students.
Students who enroll in sections that have a live video streaming option also have the option of making arrangements to perform lab exercises off-campus. Those who exercise this option will need to make arrangements with a partner who will assist in administering exams and lab assignments at off-campus locations.
Program Download Program Brochure
Surveying and Mapping Science Program Educational Objective:
The objective of the Surveying and Mapping Science Program is to prepare graduates to successfully pursue their professional career objectives in a land surveying and mapping-related field. The Program considers this objective to be realized if a majority of graduates:
1. Are employed in a field within the geomatics disciplines.
2. Have successfully completed licensing for professional certification/registration, e.g. PS, CP or GISP, as appropriate for their career path in a geomatics discipline.
3. Obtain membership in one or more professional organizations relevant to their career of choice.
4. Continue professional education by participating in professional development courses or sessions, or complete higher education courses.
5. Analyze, manage, and disseminate geospatial data utilizing industry standard land surveying techniques.
Surveying and Mapping Science Program Student Educational Outcomes:
Students will have/or:
1. An ability to identify, formulate, and solve broadly-defined technical or scientific
problems by applying knowledge of mathematics and science and/or technical topics
to areas relevant to the discipline.
2. An ability to formulate or design a system, process, procedure or program to meet desired needs.
3. An ability to develop and conduct experiments or test hypotheses, analyze and interpret data and use scientific judgment to draw conclusions.
4. An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
5. An ability to understand ethical and professional responsibilities and the impact of technical and/or scientific solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
6. An ability to function effectively on teams that establish goals, plan tasks, meet deadlines, and analyze risk and uncertainty.
7. Successfully Complete the NCEES Fundamentals of Surveying (FS) exam.
The program will produce graduates who are prepared for a professional career in a land surveying and mapping-related field.
Credits to complete this program: 128 credit hours
|TN Residents||eRate (Out of State, 100% online)||Out of State|
|$422 per credit hour||$483 per credit hour||$1183 per credit hour|
|*Note, tuition discounts are available for border county students
*This amount may not include program-specific fees
Read more about cost, paying for courses, scholarship options and financial aid.
Steps to Apply
Step 1 - Create your ETSU Application Account
Step 1 Create your ETSU Application Account by choosing the "Sign Up" option
Step 2 - Sign into the ETSU Application Portal
Step 2 Sign into the ETSU Application Portal and select "Start a New Application"
Step 3 - Complete the Remaining Fields
Step 3 Choose "Undergraduate," select your student type, select your start term, then choose Surveying and Mapping and complete the remainder of the form.