Summer Bridge Program
During students’ senior year in high school, Upward Bound staff is here to help students prepare for college by assisting them with the FAFSA, college admissions applications, and scholarship applications.
The summer after senior year, Upward Bound students have the opportunity to take two college classes at ETSU as part of the Bridge Program. These classes are usually general education courses that will likely transfer to other institutions. Students participating in the Bridge program receive tutoring, housing, books, and meals at no out-of-pocket cost and are invited to come on the end of the summer trip with the program.
Remind is a simple and easy to use text alert system. It's easy to sign up and we encourage all our students to use it. In addition to our regular Upward Bound Remind alerts, Ali has created a separate alert system specifically for seniors to deliver important reminders about scholarships, Bridge requirements, and upcoming deadlines.
You can sign up using one of the following options:
If you would like to learn more about the system visit www.remind.com. Standard text message rates apply.
Please contact the Upward Bound office if you have any questions. (423-439-5619)
Summer 2018 Bridge Requirements - Fall Semester Requirements
To be eligible for consideration for the 2018 Summer Bridge Program, you must complete all Fall Semester Bridge Requirements which are listed below. Failure to complete these requirements by December 8th, 2017, will make you ineligible for consideration as a participant in the Bridge Program.
Apply for admission at ETSU
- Fill out the ETSU paper application and submit it to Upward Bound
- Upward Bound will pay your application fee.
- Do not complete the online application or mail in your application to ETSU Admissions. Do not turn in your application in an envelope.
- Application should be filled out neatly and completed in blue or black ink.
- High School Transcript
High school transcript must be put in a sealed envelope that has been stamped or signed by your school counselor and turned in to Upward Bound. Make sure your name is on the envelope.
- Submit ACT Scores
ACT must be taken by December 2017 and scores must be submitted to ETSU. December 9th test date scores will be accepted. These can be included on your high school transcript or sent directly from ACT. If you are not sure if ETSU has your scores, check with Ali.
Write an essay
Topic: How my Involvement in Upward Bound Has Assisted Me in Preparation for College Success and Success in LifeThe essay must be a minimum of two full pages with one inch margins, typed, double-spaced, and in Times New Roman font. Essays that don’t meet these formatting and length requirements will not be considered.
Fill out FAFSA
- 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- This FAFSA will apply you for Summer 2018 financial aid.
- List only ETSU as your college on this FAFSA.
- Complete using 2015 tax information, sign and have parent/guardian sign using FSA ID, and submit online.
- Forward Ali the email that says your 2017-2018 FAFSA has been “Successfully Processed” in order to complete this requirement.
- 2018-2019 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- This FAFSA will apply you for Fall 2018-Spring 2019 financial aid.
- Complete using 2016 tax information as soon as possible after October 1st, sign and have parent/guardian sign using FSA ID, and submit online.
- Forward Ali the email that says your 2018-2019 FAFSA has been “Successfully Processed” in order to complete this requirement.
Regular attendance at Upward Bound school visits and Monday Night Sessions is required. Students who are in violation of the Upward Bound attendance policy may not be eligible to participate in the Bridge program.