Improving the quality of life in the Central Appalachian region and beyond by creating an environment free from the health consequences of obesity, diabetes, and associated metabolic disorders.
To provide scientific expertise and partnership opportunities for the prevention, detection, and management of obesity, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and associated metabolic disorders in Central Appalachia. The mission statement is accomplished by:
- Advancing our understanding of obesity and metabolic diseases and their effects in human populations.
- Providing students, faculty, and clinicians an environment to develop research and outreach strategies to prevent obesity and metabolic diseases.
- Working with community partners to better inform and empower the population about obesity and metabolic diseases.
- Working with clinicians and health care professionals to better detect and manage patients with obesity, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and associated metabolic disorders.
- To carry out scientific studies for characterizing obesity, metabolic syndrome, and diabetes in human populations.
- To create scientific evidence for informing the development of effective strategies for prevention of obesity and metabolic diseases.
- To obtain resources to support teaching, research, and service related to obesity, metabolic syndrome, and diabetes.
- To produce educational materials for clinicians, public health professionals, patients and other audiences.
- To disseminate study findings and prevention messages to varied audiences through local, regional, and national media, conferences, focus groups, and publications.