What is Field Experience?
Field Experience is considered a vital part of the student's education in that it serves as the link between the classroom and the real world. Field Experience placements include law enforcement agencies, juvenile courts, correctional agencies, private security agencies, and prosecuting attorney offices at the local, state and federal levels.
Field Experience is a 200-400 hour work experience for 12. semester hours of credit offered during the Summer Semester only. Generally, students elect to work an average of 20-30 hours a week for the host agency over the course of the semester. Except in rare instances, Field Experience agencies no not pay students. Field Experience students are considered volunteers and serve at the pleasure of the host agency. Therefore, Field Experience agencies have the right to refuse any student for any reason regardless of the recommendations of the criminal justice faculty. Field Experience students are representatives of ETSU and the Department of Criminal Justice & Criminology. Therefore, Field Experience applicants are carefully selected on the basis of academic performance and professional promise.
Field Experience is solely for the purpose of providing a new learning experience. Students who previously worked or currently working for a criminal justice agency cannot receive Field Experience credit for their experience. Field Experience is designed for students who have no practical experience in the criminal justice professions.
For additional information contact Dr. Larry Miller.
Who may apply for Field Experience?
Any Criminal Justice & Criminology major who fulfills all the following requisites:
- Senior status at time of Field Experience (minimum of 90 degree credit hours).
- Overall grade point average of 2.5 or better with a 3.0 or better in criminal justice coursework.
- Have not been convicted of a crime other than minor traffic offenses.
- Have the recommendation of the criminal justice faculty.
- Not present any circumstances that may prohibit successful completion of the Field Experience (e.g., lack of required coursework, lack of transportation, health/physical conditions, etc.).
- Have the approval of the host Field Experience agency.
You make pick up a packet in the office or click on the link below.
Application Deadline - March 1st