Thank you for your interest in the History Department at East Tennessee State University. The following information is aimed at assisting those students interested in pursuing History as a major area of study.
- For questions about advising for history majors, click here.
- For questions about the Honors in Discipline Program, click here.
- For questions about the career opportunities that a major in history provides, click here.
Requirements for a History Major
A major leading to a baccalaureate degree in history requires completion of a minimum of 39 semester hours of study, including the following:
- HIST 1110 and 1120: World Civilization (6 hours)
- HIST 3410: Introduction to Historical Method (3 hours)
- 6 3000-level courses (18 hours)
- 5 4000-level courses (15 hours)
- 1 course at either the 3000 or 4000-level in any geographic area. (3 credits)
Of the 18 credit hours taken at the 3000 levels, at least 6 credits must be taken in each of the general areas of United States, European, and World history.
HIST 3410, Introduction to Historical Study, must be taken by all History majors. It should be taken PRIOR to the enrollment in any upper-level (4000-level) courses.
Transfer students must meet the specific requirements for the history major or minor.
Regardless of the number of credits in history which they transfer, they must take a minimum of two 3000-level courses and three 4000-level courses for the major or one 3000-level course and two 4000-level courses for the minor.
Transfer students must maintain a minimum average of "C" in courses taken in the department.