Thank you for your interest in the History Department at East Tennessee State University. The following information is aimed at assisting those students interested in pursuing History as a minor area of study.
- For questions about advising for history minors, click here .
- For questions about the career opportunities that a minor in history provides, click here
Requirements for History Minor
A minor in history requires the completion of a minimum of 21 semester hours of study, including the following:
- HIST 1110 and 1120: World Civilization 6 hours
- 3 4000-level courses 9 hours
- 2 3000 or 4000-level courses 6 hours
Of the 15 hours taken at the 3000 or 4000-levels, at least three hours must be taken in each of the general areas of U.S., European, and World History.
If you are taking a History minor, with a view toward certification for Secondary Education, please consult the History Add-On.
Transfer students must meet the specific requirements for the history major or minor.
Regardless of the number of credits in history which they transfer, they must take a minimum of two 3000-level courses and three 4000-level courses for the major or one 3000-level course and two 4000-level courses for the minor.
Transfer students must maintain a minimum average of "C" in courses taken in the department.