The Master of Public Administration (MPA)
What is a MPA degree?
MPA is a professional degree program that integrates theory and real world practice of public administration to prepare you for work in the public or nonprofit sectors. This highly marketable degree produces leaders with skills and passion to become effective administrators.
Despite the economy's ups and downs, demand remains high for skilled and trained public administration professionals. Urban Planning was even named a "Hot Job for the 21st Century" by the US Department of Labor.
We welcome potential students of all ages and backgrounds to apply the MPA program at East Tennessee State University! Let our education strengthen your future!
Career Outlook with a MPA degree
Public administration jobs can be found in the following industries:
- Local, state and federal government agencies - state and city government, Department of Transportation, Department of Economic and Community Department etc.
- Nonprofit organizations – Youth Corps, Salvation Army, United Way, etc.
- Private Business – Consulting businesses, human resources, etc.
Followings are salary ranges for MPA graduates from entry level to more senior level. Note that salaries for these positions vary greatly due location, work experience, industry sector, and other factors.
|Local Government Analyst||State/Local Gov||$26,000 – $45,000|
|Program Coordinator||Nonprofit||$30,000 – $48,000|
|Program Assistant/Manager||Nonprofit||$32,000 – $63,000|
|Policy Analyst||Nonprofit/Government||$40,000 – $68,000|
|Statistician||Nonprofit/Government||$46,000 – $65,000|
|Research Associate||NP/Gov/Private||$45,000 – $60,000|
|Marketing/PA Specialist||NP/Gov/Private||$66,000 – $85,000|
|City Manager/Chief Administrative Officer||State/Local Gov||$101,000 – $108,000|
Upon completion of this program graduates will be able to:
- Articulate and apply a public values perspective
- Analyze and evaluate public policies and innitiate solutions for the future
- Apply organizational theory and develop leadership in public governance
- Participate and contribute to the policy process
- Communicate and interact productively with a diverse and changing workforce and citizenry
Course offerings in fall 2018
PMGT 5039 Supervised Administration
PMGT 5100 Intro To Public Administration
PMGT 5160 Public Budget & Finance
PMGT 5180 Quantitative Policy Analysis
PMGT 5200 Law & Ethics in Public Service
PMGT 5280 Semimar In Public Risk Management
PMGT 5300 Nonprofit Development
PMGT 5310 GIS for Planning and Development
PMGT 5800 Public Administration Internship
PMGT 5820 Public Administration Consultant
PMGT 5990 Readings & Research