Rear Admiral Anderson graduated from East Tennessee State University in 1950 and then
received a D.D.S. degree from the University of Tennessee College of Dentistry.
He was commissioned as an ensign in 1952 in the U.S. Naval Reserve and entered active
duty from 1953-57. After re-affiliation with the Naval Reserve, he served in numerous
billets during a 30-year military career, including Great Lakes, Ill.; San Diego,
Calif.; Camp Pendleton, Calif.; New Orleans, La.; the USS Saratoga; Mayport, Fla.;
Kanohe, Hawaii; USS Nimitz; 29 Palms, Calif.; and Jacksonville, Fla.
He finished his career as Deputy Chief of the Dental Division for Reserve Affairs-Bureau
of Medicine and Surgery in Washington, D.C.
The recipient of many awards and recognitions, Anderson was honored in 1984 by the
U.S. Naval Academy as Most Outstanding Blue and Gold Liaison Officer, and he was awarded
the Gold Wreath Recruiting Badge with eight stars for service to the Navy Recruiting
He has served on the ETSU Foundation board and received the ETSU Alumni Award of Honor
in 1979, as well as the Distinguished Alumni in the Armed Forces Award in 1989. He
and his wife, Betty, are members of the ETSU Foundation Bronze Society for their support
for the university.
He and his wife, who is also an ETSU graduate, have three children, two of whom are
ETSU alumni. The couple resides in Johnson City.