A+Goals Summer Internship: Call for Applications
A+ GOALS (Advancing Girls’ Opportunities in Appalachia for Learning and Success) is
undergraduate students in education or media studies for a 3-week internship with an innovative
summer program for rising 6th- and 7th-grade girls in East Tennessee. The program is supported by
the Eastman Foundation and the Sullivan County Department of Education.
A+GOALS seeks to promote innovative, 21st century learning opportunities for underserved girls in
Appalachian East Tennessee. Our program is designed to help girls in mountain communities
successfully compete in a world that is global, digitally connected, and navigated through literacy
and leadership skills. Our goal is to spark rural girls’ passion for education as they encounter
different ways of learning, broaden their interests, cultivate tangible new skills, have fun, and
create futures that include greater success in middle school and high school, graduation, and
postsecondary education so they can be leaders in a changing Appalachia.
Do you have:
❖ An interest in and concern for the lives and well-being of rural people;
❖ An interest in educational initiatives with a social justice mission, in this case to empower
adolescent girls and address rural poverty;
❖ An interest in innovative curriculum, particularly digital literacy learning;
❖ Some experience with creating digital media (helpful, but not required).
DATES on SITE: WEDNESDAY, July 8th- WEDNESDAY, July 29th
Interns and staff will arrive in Sullivan County on Wednesday, July 8th for team-building, final
training and preparation to welcome the girls on the following Monday. The program will run from
July 13th- 24th, and the final days will be to prepare for the community-wide exhibition of the
digital stories and the program on Tuesday evening, July 28th.
In addition to the 3 weeks on-site, interns will participate in a required preparatory
series with the educational leadership team in MAY. The webinar will include a Digital Storytelling
workshop with the StoryCenter. During the webinars, interns will make their own digital story, learn the basics of how to record and edit audio, edit video, and how to help youth tell their own story. The webinar will also include team planning for literacy groups, fun learning activities, leadership and global learning activities, and individual TNT’s (Try New Things!). TNT’’s are fun classes, such as dance, robotics, art, cooking, etc. that interns will plan and facilitate 4 afternoons each week.
During the two week summer program, interns will:
- assist the StoryCenter team in helping the A+GIRLS to make their own digital stories;
- work as a team with the Leadership Team to facilitate learning activities, book groups,
Learning, and TNT classes; and
- participate in reflective discussions about innovative educational strategies in rural communities.
Compensation includes a stipend: $1,650 for the three weeks and prep webinar series; shared lodging and transportation in Sullivan County, TN; and some meals during the program.
We are grateful for your interest in this internship and ask for the following:
- A letter that addresses the following questions:
- Why are you interested in working with this educational program serving rural Appalachian
in grade 6?
- What experiences and knowledge would you bring to the team and to the program?
- What hobbies or talents do you have that you might be interested in teaching as TNT class?
- How might this internship opportunity contribute to your future personal and career goals?
- What book (for middle school girls) with a positive female protagonist would you enjoy
facilitating in an A+Goals book group, and why?
- Why are you interested in working with this educational program serving rural Appalachian girls
- Your current resume - may be focused on your studies, awards, volunteering, clubs
relevant activities, as well as any work experience.
- The name and contact information for two non-family references. We will only contact
TO VIEW sample DIGITAL STORIES: Appalachian Girls' Stories
See highlights from A+GOALS 2019 (click to request access to link):
See our Global Learning project site from 2019: https://aplusgoalsglobal.weebly.com/
*WEBSITE is under construction
Review of applications will begin upon receipt
Deadline: FEBRUARY 28th (FRIDAY) 5:00 PM Eastern
Please submit your materials to:
Allison Myers: email@example.com
Subject Line: A+ Goals INTERN application