Additional Contact Information:
Dr. Sanjay Singh
East Tennessee State University
James H. Quillen College of Medicine
Department of Biomedical Sciences
PO Box 70582
Johnson City, TN 37614
Phone: (423) 439-6342
Location: Bldg. 119, Room 133
2002 Ph.D. from Banaras Hindu University, India
2003 Joined ETSU for his post-doctoral training
2015 Became research faculty in the ETSU Biomedical Sciences Department in 2015.
1. Antimicrobial properties of C-reactive protein (CRP) in pneumococcal infection
2. Antimicrobial role of Mahanine.
Our research is mainly focused on the structure-function relationship of CRP, an evolutionarily conserved plasma protein. CRP is a component of the acute phase response and a critical host defense molecule. In normal host, acute phase response of CRP works in conjunction with immune response to help resolve the inflammatory insult. We are interested in the role of CRP in immune compromised host using mouse models of bacterial infection.
Due to increased consumption of antibiotics and growing number of antibiotic resistant strains, there is urgent need for newer strategies. We are interested in a herbal compound Mahanine to investigate its antimicrobial property and investigate if Mahanine could help reduce antibiotic dosing and help minimize antibiotic resistance.
- Sham S. Kakar, Mariusz Z Ratajczak, Karen S. Powell, Mana Moghadamfalahi, Donald M Miller, Surinder K. Batra and Sanjay K Singh. Withaferin A alone and in combination with cisplatin suppresses growth and metastasis of ovarian cancer by targeting putative cancer stem cells. PLOS ONE. 29; 9(9):e107596 2014. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0107596. PMID: 25264898.
- Kulkarni R, Caskey J, Singh S.K., Paudel S, Baral P, Schexnayder M, Kim J, Kim N, Kosmider B, Ratner A.J., Jeyaseelan S. Cigarette Smoke Extract-Exposed Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Regulates Leukocyte Function for Pulmonary Persistence. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 55(4):586-601, 2016. PMID: 2725308
- Thirumalai A, Singh S.K, Hammond DJ Jr, Gang TB, Ngwa DN, Pathak A, Agrawal Purification of recombinant C-reactive protein mutants. J Immunol Methods. 443:26-32, 2017. PMID:28167277
- Singh S.K, Thirumalai A, Pathak A, Ngwa DN, Agrawal A. Functional Transformation of C-reactive Protein by Hydrogen Peroxide. J Biol Chem. 292(8):3129-3136, 2017. PMID: 28096464
- Singh S.K Staphylococcus aureus intracellular survival: A closer look in the process. Virulence 8 (8): 1506-1507, 2017. PMID: 28956688
- Singh S.K, Agrawal A. Functionality of C-Reactive Protein for Atheroprotection. Frontiers in Immunology. 10:1655. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2019.01655, 2019.