Developing and promoting a culture of compliance
The Office of University Compliance seeks to support and enhance East Tennessee State University’s vision, mission, and values by providing independent and objective measures to address the University’s legal, regulatory, and ethical responsibilities. The office provides program oversight for Title IX of the Education Amendments, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act. The office collaborates with campus partners to provide policy development, education, enforcement, remediation, and support to the University community.
The Office of University Compliance seeks to develop and promote a culture of compliance to support ETSU’s mission of delivering education in a world class environment.
Supporting ETSU's core values:
- PEOPLE come first, are treated with dignity and respect, and are encouraged to achieve their full potential
- RELATIONSHIPS are built on honesty, integrity, and trust
- DIVERSITY of people and thought is respected
- EXCELLENCE is achieved through teamwork, leadership, creativity, and a strong work ethic;
- EFFICIENCY is achieved through wise use of human and financial resources; and
- COMMITMENT to intellectual achievement is embraced.
The U.S. Department of Education Confirms Title IX Protects Students from Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity. Effective June 22, 2021, the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) will extend Title IX protections to all students, faculty, and staff, including those in the LGBTQI+ community, from all forms of sex discrimination. ETSU continues to strive for a learning , living, working environment free of all forms of discrimination. For additional information, please see the resource Confronting Anti-LGBTQI+ Harassment in Schools. Click here to report an Incident at ETSU.