skip to main content columnskip to left navigation

The Office of University Counsel

East Tennessee State University


Immigration Matters

The Office of University Counsel at East Tennessee State University files all official government paperwork related to H-1B petitions for ETSU employees.  ETSU may also support permanent resident applications on behalf of employees.

H-1B visas grant temporary worker immigration status to individuals coming to the United States to work in a specialty occupation, and can be valid for up to three years.  H-1B visas may be extended for an additional three years upon renewed filing.

Lawful Permanent Residents are those who have been approved to permanently reside in the United States.  When filing for permanent residency through an employer, there are three commonly used filing categories:

  1. Extraordinary Ability (Internationally recognized individual at the top of his or her field);
  2. Outstanding Professor or Researcher (Internationally recognized as outstanding with at least three years of experience); and
  3. Advanced Degree Holder (Individual with an advanced degree).

For more information regarding immigration matters, please contact Lisa Williams at or (423) 439-5606.

For Additional information on work authorizations and visas.

icon for left menu icon for right menu