Academic Advising Notes Process
Advising notes are important to monitor a student's academic success and are vital when a student changes advisors or their major. Advising notes improve transparency and efficiency in advising and open communications between ETSU offices as it relates to our students success.
This new process will eliminate copying/pasting notes from one system to another. Advisors and staff will enter notes in one system based on their roles.
- Degree Works - faculty and staff advisors
- Banner administrative offices
- EAB SSC Campus retention advisors *
Please follow these note guidelines:
ETSU advisors (both faculty and staff) will be directed to enter ALL advisement notes
in Degree Works
Advisement notes include:
- General advisement course recommendations for upcoming term
- Refer student to plan notes
- Course substitutions
- General Education exceptions
- Other exceptions
- Areas of concern
- Degree progress, GPA, major choice
- Student accepted into program notations
- Other major or graduation specific notes
EAB Student Success Collaborative (Campus): *
The redesigned EAB Student Success Collaborative Campus platform will be implemented fall 2016. This platform allows users to:
- Pull lists of students using various criteria
- Manage campaigns where groups of students are identified and contacted
- Coordinate academic alerts
- Utilize campus-wide notes system
- Training for entering notes and using Campus will be available fall 2016
- Notes in Campus will include:
- Campaign notes
- Retention and Outreach
- Academic Alerts
- Early Semester Progress Reports (mid-terms)
- Non-returning student outreach
- Case Management (referrals) based on outreach
- Academic referrals due to alerts, mid-terms, campaigns, etc.
GoldLink Student Contact Notes and/or Internet Native Banner (SPACMNT):
- Administrative type events, exceptions or notations
- Academic Status Appeal Decisions (Student Affairs)
- Academic Appeals (Designee for Academic Affairs)
- Administrative drops/adds/permits
- Learning Support Placement notes
- Registrar Overrides for immunization waivers
*More information and training coming soon for faculty and staff.
Advising Notes - Documenting
Top Five Rules to Follow:
- If in doubt, leave it out.
- Would I send this note to the student or their lawyer?
- Describe, do not evaluate or judge
- Do not enter the name of any other student in an advising note other than the students record you are adding the note to.
- Do not note a students conduct actions, disability or medical information.
What to know:
- All notes are subpoenable
- Notes are a part of the students educational record nd they can request a copy.
- Notes are not private, can be viewed by many
- Degree Works notes can be viewed by students or advisor may choose check box to block notes from student view
- EAB SSC Campus notes are not viewable by students
- Banner notes are not viewable by students in GoldLink
- Be short and concise, keep notes simple
- Formal sentences are not required. Phrases can be used as long as they can be understood by both the author as well as others.
- You may copy and paste notes from one document to another.
The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of a students educational records. It defines when and what information from a students educational record may be released to anyone out of ETSU.
It is important to know that advising notes, whether hard copy or electronic are part of a students educational record to which the student has a right to access and which can be subpoenaed.
For more information: https://www.etsu.edu/advisement/advisors/advisingnotes.php