Medical Professions Advisement Office Staff
DEVELOP STRATEGIES TO BECOME A COMPETITIVE APPLICANT.
The Medical Professions Advisement Office Staff is available to answer any questions that students may have regarding a career in the health professions.
PRE-HEALTH DISCIPLINES ARE NOT A MAJOR
Therefore, you must choose a major (and minor, if appropriate) that supports your life goals by the time you earn 60 credit hours. Schools are interested in students who have excelled in the sciences and mathematics, but you do not have to major in these disciplines. Choose a major/minor that you enjoy and that plays to your strengths.
YOU MUST MEET WITH YOUR MAJOR ADVISOR AND MPA COUNSELOR EACH SEMESTER
Students who receive scholarships or participate in specialized ETSU programs (such as athletics or Honors College programs) must also seek advisement from those departments. Serious consequences can occur if students fail to meet with advisors.
TOPICS TO DISCUSS
- Professional school requirements
- Practical experience
- Career goals
- Academic performance
- Pre-professional school prerequisite progress
- Preparing for entrance exams
- Assessing your strengths and weaknesses
- Recognizing weaknesses in your preparation
- Recognizing areas for improvement and enhancement
- How to put together a high-quality application
- Choices that make you a more competitive applicant