Planning Your Visit
The Archives of Appalachia is located on East Tennessee State University's main campus, 4th floor of the Sherrod Library, Room 422. Sherrod Library is located at 344 J L Seehorn Road. See the map below for directions.
Summer Hours & Schedule
From Monday May 15 through Friday August 11, 2023, the Archives of Appalachia will be open to the public for in-person research Monday-Thursday from 9:00 am-4:30 pm, with no appointment required. We will be open Fridays by appointment only, with an appointment required 24 hours in advance. We will also be closed on university holidays and administrative closings. Contact us to set up your visit: 423.439.4338 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the Reading Room you will find research tables, listening stations, and public
access computers to aid you with your research. An archivist will always be available
to assist you.
- The Archives is open to all researchers, but you will be required to register and
present a valid photo identification such as a driver’s license, student ID, passport,
or etc. Your registration must be renewed each academic year.
- Personal items such as bags, coats, and backpacks must be placed in one of our lockers
while you research. You may keep your notebook, laptop, and cell phone with you at
the research tables.
- The Archives is a no ink zone but we keep plenty of pencils available throughout the
- We do not allow the use of personal scanners but you may be able to photograph materials
or obtain copies from us. Please consult with an archivist before taking photographs
and we will be happy to work with you. We can only accept cash or check for duplication
- You may want to dress in layers! Sometimes our Reading Room is a bit on the chilly
- Food and/or drink is not permitted in the Reading Room. There are several dining options
available on or near campus. Please ask at the Reference Desk for a local food guide.
- Please consult our printable Researcher's Guide for more information about using the Archives Room.
All campus visitors must contact Parking Services to obtain a free parking pass prior to parking. You may request and print a pass online, or pick-up a pass as you enter campus via Parking Services' drive-thru at 132 Stout Drive Johnson City, TN 37614. If you have questions about parking, please call 423.439.5650. To view a map of campus, please click here (Sherrod Library is Building 320).