The Honors-in-Discipline (HiD) program in the Department of Geosciences is designed to provide an enhanced educational program of study for your major in Geosciences (with concentration in Geospatial Sciences, Geology and Environment, Paleontology and Geography). To ensure the quality of the program, only a limited number of spaces are available. Scholarships are limited, all students selected for the program will be considered for honors scholarships, as they become available from the Honors College.
The Geosciences HiD program focuses on student learning through original research. Our Honors students work with a diverse group of professors, graduate students and researchers to discuss research opportunities, and become involved in their own researches. Our HiD students participate in scientific professional conferences and present their work with peers and faculty supervisors.
Applications for admission to the honors program will be accepted from students in the second semester of their freshman year. However, admission will be contingent upon their final grades on completion of the freshman year. Both ETSU students and transfer students must have an overall minimum GPA of 3.2 with a minimum GPA of 3.5 in geosciences courses.
To apply for the program
- Completed Application Form (Honors Application)
- A letter describing his/her expectations of the ETSU Geosciences HiD Program and career goals.
- A list of Geosciences courses that have been taken and the grades earned.
- A list future Honors-in-discipline classes required for timely graduation (after consultation with Geosciences HiD coordinator).
- A letter of recommendation directly sent from a professor at the university attended by the student to Geosciences HiD Coordinator.
For additional information please contact: