- Undergraduate Programs
- Graduate Programs
- Faculty & Staff
- Links of Interest
- Contact Us
The kindergarten through 12th grade physical education teaching concentration prepares students to be eligible for teacher licensure in physical education in the state of Tennessee. The program of study provides extensive training in elementary and secondary pedagogy and supports the mission of the Clemmer College - Educating Leaders in the 21st Century.
Teacher candidates are trained to assume leadership roles in the classroom, school, and community, while developing skills and knowledge in professional content and pedagogy with a special emphasis on technology, multicultural, and inclusion education.
Physical Education specialists develop skills in reflective thinking and decision-making as they grow personally into caring lifelong learners.
Students must be admitted to Teacher Education prior to enrolling in PEXS 4007, 4700, and 4717; EDFN 3301; MEDA 3570; and CUAI 4580.
See TBR General Education Core Requirements for options.
Science Requirement for K - 12: HSCI 2010/11 Anatomy and Physiology I
Major Core Requirements (21 Credit Hours)
- PHED 1130 - Wellness for Life (3 hrs)
- PEXS 2955 - Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries (3 hrs)
- PEXS 3032 - Motor Development (3 hrs)
- PEXS 3080 - Theory and Practice of Aerobic Conditioning (3 hrs)
- PEXS 3510 - Foundations of Physical Education (3 hrs)
- SALM 4210 - Legal Issues (3 hrs)
- PUBH 2030 - First Aid and Emergency Care (3 hrs)
Physical Education-Teacher Education Concentration (20 Credit Hours)
- PEXS 2701 - Aquatics (1 hr)
- PEXS 3005 - Instructional Delivery Techniques (3 hrs)
- PEXS 3085 - Teaching Rhythms and Gymnastics (3 hrs)
- PEXS 3095 - Teaching Sports Skills I (3 hrs)
- PEXS 3850 - Scientific Basis of Human Performance (4 hrs)
- PEXS 4001 - Teaching Sports Skills II (3 hrs)
- PEXS 4060 - Measurement and Evaluation (3 hrs)
Physical Education Core (31 Credit Hours)
- EDFN 2100 - Orientation to Education (1 hr)
- EDFN 2300 - Foundation of Education (2 hrs)
- EDFN 3301 - Issues in Education (3 hrs)
- HDAL 3310 - Educational Psychology (3 hrs)
- MEDA 3570 - Educational Technology (2 hrs)
- PEXS 4007 - Elementary Physical Education (3 hrs)
- PEXS 4250 - Adapted Physical Education (3 hrs)
- PEXS 4700 - Secondary Lifetime Wellness (3 hrs)
- PEXS 4717 - Secondary Physical Education (3 hrs)
- PEXS 4065 - Pre-Residency Field Experience (1 hr)
- PEXS 4075 - Residency I Field Experience (2 hrs)
- PEXS 4850- Residency II Field Experience (9 hrs)
- PEXS 4851 - Residency II Seminar (3 hrs)
Electives (4 Hours)
Total Hours Required for Degree = 120 Credit Hours
Students must be admitted to Teacher Education before enrolling in upper division methods courses.
For more information please contact the K-12 Physical Education Program Coordinator:
Dr. Kason O'Neil
Department of Sport, Exercise, Recreation, and Kinesiology
East Tennessee State University
Johnson City, TN 37614-1701
Voice: (423) 439-4632
Fax: (423) 439-5383
Various forms of financial assistance are available through the Office of Financial Aid. In addition, student assistant positions may be available within the Department of Sport, Exercise, Recreation, and Kinesiology.