My expertise in integrative neuroscience aimed at finding treatments and cures for
neurological disorders. My work has focused on long term neuronal plasticity, specifically
in the context of pathological injury within the central nervous system. My recent
work has focused on neuronal interactions that occur among the central and peripheral
neural networks playing a major role in controlling cardiac functions. Imbalances
within this control system are associated with heart disease and have deleterious
consequences, including the progression into heart failure. Neuromodulation therapy
has emerged as a novel approach to treat such disease processes at their root cause,
namely restoring neuronal balance within the nervous system and thereby restoring
Regenia Phillips Campbell
Ms. Marie Southerland
ACTIVE RESEARCH FUNDING
Source: Cyberonics, Inc (PI: Beaumont), $100 000 1/2014 6/2015
Co-Investigator: M. Andresen
Title: Sensory consequences of autonomic regulation therapy in the treatment of heart disease.
Objective: To determine the effect of heart disease (c.f. pressure overload) on neuronal function/plasticity
at the level of the nucleus of the solitary tract. Next, to determine the efficacy
of VNS to mitigate these neuronal changes, preserving cardiac pumping function.
Source: Cyberonics, Inc. (PI: Ardell), $808 000 7/2013 6/2015
Co-Investigator: J.A. Armour, E. Beaumont
Title: Evaluation of vagal nerve stimulation (VNS) for treatment of heart failure in dogs.
Objective: To determine the effect of chronic VNS on heart disease models, particularly in integrated
cardiac function and its impact on the progression of diastolic heart failure using
a renal wrap dog model.
- Ardell JL, Cardinal R, Beaumont E, Vermeulen M, Smith FM and Armour JA. Chronic spinal
cord stimulation modifies intrinsic cardiac synaptic efficacy in the suppression of
atrial fibrillation. Autonomic Neuroscience, 2014 Dec; 186:38-44.
- Bull SJ, Bin JM, Beaumont E, Boutet A, Krimpenfort P, Sadikot AF, Kennedy TE. Progressive
Disorganization of Paranodal Junctions and Compact Myelin Due to Loss of DCC Expression
by Oligodendrocytes. J. Neuroscience, 2014 Jul 16; 34(29):9768-78.
- Longpr JP, Salavatian S, Beaumont E, Armour JA, Ardell JL, Jacquemet V. Measure of synchrony in the activity of intrinsic cardiac neurons. Physiological
Measurement, 2014, Apr; 35(4):549-66.
- Hardwick JC, Ryan SE, Beaumont E, Ardell JL, Southerland EM. Dynamic remodeling of the guinea pig intrinsic cardiac plexus induced by chronic myocardial
infarction. Auton Neurosci. 2014 Apr;181:4-12
- Beaumont E, Guevara E, Dubeau S, Lesage F, Nagai M, Popovic M. Functional electrical
stimulation post spinal cord injury improves locomotion and increases afferent input
into the central nervous system in rats. J. of Spinal Cord Medicine, 2014 Jan;37(1):93-100.
- El Helou J, Blanger-Nelson E, Freyburger M, Dorsaz S, Curie T, Spada FLA, Gaudreault,
PO, Beaumont E, Pouliot P, Lesage F, Frank M, Franken P, Mongrain V. Neuroligin-1:
a Link between Neuronal Activity and Sleep/Wake Regulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S
A. 2013 Jun 11;110(24):9974-9.
- Wang L, Rouleau DM, Beaumont E. Most effective adjuvant treatments after surgery
in peripheral nerve laceration: systematic review of the literature on rodent models.
Restorative Neurol and Neurosci. 2013 31(3):253-62.
- Beaumont E, Salavatian S, Southerland EM, Vinet A, Jacquemet V, Armour JA, Ardell JL. Network interactions within the canine intrinsic cardiac nervous system: implications
for reflex control of regional cardiac function. J Physiol. 2013 Sep 15;591(Pt 18):4515-33
- Cloutier FC, Rouleau DM, Hbert-Davies J, Beaumont PH, Beaumont E. Atorvastatin is
beneficial for muscle reinnervation after complete sciatic nerve section in rats.
J Plast Surg Hand Surg. 2013 Dec;47(6):446-50
- Dubeau S, Havlicek M, Beaumont E, Ferland G, Lesage F, Pouliot P. Neurovascular deconvolution of optical signals as a proxy for the true neuronal inputs. J Neurosci Methods. 2012 Sep 30;210(2):247-58.
- MacDonell CW, Button DC, Beaumont E, Cormery B, Gardiner PF. Plasticity of rat motoneuron
rhythmic firing properties with varying levels of afferent and descending inputs.
Journal of Physiology (London) 2012 Jan;107(1):265-72
- Southerland M, Richards CA, Armour JA, Beaumont E, Ardell JL. Activated cranial cervical
cord neurons affect left ventricular infarct size and the potential for sudden cardiac
death. Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical, 2012 Jul 2;169(1):34-42.
- Gibbons DD, Southerland EM, Hoover DB, Beaumont E, Armour JA, Ardell JL. Neuromodulation targets intrinsic cardiac neurons to attenuate neuronally mediated
atrial arrhythmias. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2012 Feb;302(3):R357-64.
- Laflamme GY, Rouleau DM, Leduc S, Roy L, Beaumont E. The Timed Up and Go test is an
early predictor of functional outcome in patients with femoral neck fracture. Journal of bone and joint surgery, AM (JBJS), 2012, Jul 3;94(13):1175-9.
- Dubeau S, Desjardins M, Pouliot P, Beaumont E, Ferland G, Gaudreau P and Lesage F.
Biophysical model estimation of neurovascular parameters in a rat model of healthy
aging. Neuroimage, 2011 Aug 15;57(4):1480-91.
- Dubeau S, Ferland G, Gaudreau P, Beaumont E and Lesage F. Cerebrovascular hemodynamic
correlates of aging in the Lou/c rat: a model of healthy aging. Neuroimage, 2011 Jun 15;56(4):1892-901.
- Beaumont E, Beaumont P, Odermat D, Fontaine I, Jensen H, Prince F. Clinical Validation
of Computer Assisted Navigation in Total Hip Arthroplasty. Adv Orthop. 2011:171-783.
- Ouakli N, Guevara E, Dubeau S, Beaumont E and Lesage F. Laminar Optical Tomography
of the hemodynamic response in the lumbar spinal cord in rats. Optic express, 2010, 10;18(10):10068-77.
- Brieu, N., Beaumont, E., Dubeau, S., Cohen-Adad, J., Lesage, F., Characterization
of the hemodynamic response in the rat lumbar spinal cord using intrinsic optical
imaging and laser speckle. J Neurosci Methods,2010 Aug 30;191(2):151-7.
- Beaumont E, Whitaker CM, Wells MJ, Magnuson DSK, Hetman Mand Onifer SM. Rolipram Maintains
Axonal Conductivity across Adult Rat Cervical Spinal Cord Contusion Injury and Promotes
Locomotion Recovery. Neuroscience 2009;10;163(4):985-90
- Lesage. F, Brieu N, Dubeau, S, Beaumont E. Optical imaging of vascular and metabolic
responses in the lumbar spinal cord after T10 transection in rats. Neurosci Lett.2009; 454(1):105-9
- Dery MA, Rousseau G, Benderdour M, Beaumont E. Atorvastatin prevents early apoptosis
after thoracic spinal cord contusion injury and promotes locomotion recovery. Neurosci Lett.2009; 453(1):73-6
- Beaumont E, Cloutier FC, Rouleau D, Beaumont P. Chondroitinase ABC and Acute Electrical
Stimulation are Beneficial for
Muscle Reinnervation after Sciatic Nerve Transection in Rats. 2009 Restorative neurology and neuroscience,2009 9;27(4):297-305.