Additional Contact Information:
Department of BioMedical Sciences
Quillen College of Medicine
Stanton-Gerber Hall, Bldg.178
P.O. Box 70582
Office A026, Lab A021-022
Postdoctoral Fellow,2006 Molecular Oncology, Van Andel Institute, Grand Rapids, MI, US
Ph.D., 2002 Fudan University Zhongshan Hospital, Shanghai, China.
M.D., 1995 Fudan University Shanghai Medical College, Shanghai, China.
2015- Present Assistant Professor, Department of Biomedical Sciences, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN
2013-2015 Research Assistant Professor, Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, MI
2010-2013 Senior Research Scientist, Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, MI
2006-2010 Research Scientist, Van Andel Research Institute, Grand Rapids, MI
The success of molecular targeted therapy in cancer depends on knowledge of essential
pathways that contribute to oncogenesis and the molecular targets that control pathway
activity. The major research interest of my lab is to understand the role of MET signaling
pathway in cancer, with primary focus on glioblastoma and hepatocellular carcinoma.
We use both in vitro cell based assays and in vivo animal models to understand the
molecular regulation of MET and Tyrosine Kinase signaling pathways in order to develop
therapeutic strategies for cancer treatment.
1) To determine the molecular mechanisms of MET-targeted therapy and the therapeutic combination strategies.
2) To develop MET-targeting T cell therapy in hepatocellular carcinoma and glioblastoma
3) To establish preclinical animal modeling systems for studying tumor biology and therapeutics in glioblastoma.
1. Qin Y, Musket A*, Kou J, Preiszner J, Tschida BR, Qin A, Land CA, Staal B, Kang L, Tanner K, Jiang Y, Schweitzer JB, Largaespada, DL, and Xie Q. Overexpression of HGF/MET Axis along with p53 Inhibition Induces de novo Glioma Formation in Mice. Neuro-Oncology Advance. In press. 2020
2. Kou J, Musich PR, Staal B, Kang L, Qin Y, Yao ZQ, Zhang B, Wu W, Tam A, Huang A, Hao HX, Vande Woude GF, Xie Q. Differential responses of MET activations to MET kinase inhibitor and neutralizing antibody. J Transl Med. 12;16(1):253, 2018.
3. Li S, Johnson J, Peck A, and Xie Q. Near infrared fluorescent imaging of brain tumor with IR780 dye incorporated phospholipid nanoparticles. J Transl Med. 15(1):18, 2017
4. Johnson J, Ascierto ML, Kang L, Bradley R, Mittal S, Briggs M, Tanner K, Berens ME, Marincola FM, Vande Woude GF, and Xie Q. Identifying HGF signature for MET-targeted therapy in glioblastoma. J Transl Med. 13:306, 2015
5. Xie Q*, Mittal S, Berens ME. Targeting adaptive glioblastoma: an overview of proliferation and invasion. Neuro-Oncology. 16;12:1575-1584, 2014 [*Corresponding author]
6. Xie Q*, Su Y, Dykema K, Johnson J, Koeman J, De Giorgi V, Huang A, Schlegel
R, Essenburg C, Kang L, Iwaya K, Seki S, Khoo SK, Zhang B, Buonaguro FM, Marincola
FM, Furge K, Vande Woude GF, and Shinomiya N*. Overexpression of HGF promotes HBV-Induced
hepatocellular carcinoma progression and is an effective biomarker for Met-targeting
therapy. Genes & Cancer, 4:247-60, 2013 [* Co- corresponding authors] Highlighted
as Cover Story of the July/August issue
7. Xie Q*, Bradley R, Koeman J, Worschech A, Kang L, Su Y, Kefene L, Essenburg C, Kaufman D, DeKoning T, Enter M, O’Rourke TJ, Marincola FM, Vande Woude GF*. HGF-autocrine activation in glioblastoma predicts the sensitivity to MET inhibition in glioblastoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 10;109(2):570-5, 2012 [* Co-corresponding authors]
8. Shinomiya N, Kataoka H, Xie Q. Regulation of signal transduction in human cell research. Singapore: Springer Nature; 2018
9. Thewke D, Kou J, Fulmer M, Xie Q. The HGF/MET signaling and therapeutics in cancer. In: Regulation of signal transduction in human cell research. edn. Edited by Shinomiya N, Kataoka H, Xie Q. Singapore: Springer Nature; 2018: 155-182
10. Shinomiya N, Xie Q, Vande Woude G: Met activation and carcinogenesis. In: Regulation of signal transduction in human cell research. edn. Edited by Shinomiya N, Kataoka H, Xie Q. Singapore Springer Nature 2018: 129-154